Sep 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Kyle Wellwood gets his fair share of fat jokes, no doubt about it. At times I think it’s a little overblown (or bloated?) but one can imagine that he secretly might enjoy getting a bit more attention than an average player such as himself might normally receive. (This is not that different from the Twitter-based spotlight heaped on wacky enforcer Paul Bissonnette.)
Maybe that’s why we pay attention when little things happen for the playmaking center, like when he improves his scoring punch when he sports a paunch or recent news that the Phoenix Coyotes offered him a tryout in training camp.
“He’s a clever, creative player who’s a little bit intriguing,” Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney said. “We were weak on the power play last year and he’s a smart player who could help us there so we’ll give him every opportunity to come in here and win a job.”
Wait, Maloney balked at the opportunity to say “we’re hungry to improve our special teams”? Oh well, sometimes you just miss an opportunity. Hopefully Kyle Wellwood will make good on his opportunity, for the sake of his bank account and snarky hockey bloggers everywhere.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31