Sep 8, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
One of the perks of getting NHL ’11 on or around its launch day comes when you see the game’s uniforms and team logos. Back when Reebok changed the way hockey jerseys were designed with their “Edge” series, hockey video games were sometimes a treasure trove of sweater sneak peeks.
While it’s been a long time coming, the game adds even more validity to Icethetics’ claims that the Buffalo Sabres will go back to the old design they’ve used for years after opting for the much-lampooned “Buffaslug” logo. The popular jersey-centric blog shared “leaked” images of the team’s new road white jerseys and also a new third or “alternate” home jersey. Here are both,
(New road jersey, click to enlarge)
(Alternate home jersey, click to enlarge)
Puck Daddy has a review of the possible third jerseys, which seem to be inspired by a popular alternative design by the Minnesota Wild.
The alt-sweater takes the retro theme popularized by the Minnesota Wild and, in our eyes, improves on it. The “BUFFALO” on the front echoes that of the Buffalo Bison in the AHL, while that little logo underneath of it is the Sabres’ anniversary mark, with the year 1970 inside of it. It’s sharper looking than the concept that leaked earlier this year, which was too baseball-ish.
It’s fine (and fun) to nitpick the designs, but I’m just glad they made an improvement over that Gerbil of Death design they previously flaunted. As the blog Icethetics points out, these uniforms haven’t been confirmed by the team, but it seems like the franchise is finally giving fans what they want: the old design. More or less.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 41
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 41
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)