Sep 8, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
One of the perks of getting NHL ’11 on or around its launch day comes when you see the game’s uniforms and team logos. Back when Reebok changed the way hockey jerseys were designed with their “Edge” series, hockey video games were sometimes a treasure trove of sweater sneak peeks.
While it’s been a long time coming, the game adds even more validity to Icethetics’ claims that the Buffalo Sabres will go back to the old design they’ve used for years after opting for the much-lampooned “Buffaslug” logo. The popular jersey-centric blog shared “leaked” images of the team’s new road white jerseys and also a new third or “alternate” home jersey. Here are both,
(New road jersey, click to enlarge)
(Alternate home jersey, click to enlarge)
Puck Daddy has a review of the possible third jerseys, which seem to be inspired by a popular alternative design by the Minnesota Wild.
The alt-sweater takes the retro theme popularized by the Minnesota Wild and, in our eyes, improves on it. The “BUFFALO” on the front echoes that of the Buffalo Bison in the AHL, while that little logo underneath of it is the Sabres’ anniversary mark, with the year 1970 inside of it. It’s sharper looking than the concept that leaked earlier this year, which was too baseball-ish.
It’s fine (and fun) to nitpick the designs, but I’m just glad they made an improvement over that Gerbil of Death design they previously flaunted. As the blog Icethetics points out, these uniforms haven’t been confirmed by the team, but it seems like the franchise is finally giving fans what they want: the old design. More or less.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)