Sep 8, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
One of the perks of getting NHL ’11 on or around its launch day comes when you see the game’s uniforms and team logos. Back when Reebok changed the way hockey jerseys were designed with their “Edge” series, hockey video games were sometimes a treasure trove of sweater sneak peeks.
While it’s been a long time coming, the game adds even more validity to Icethetics’ claims that the Buffalo Sabres will go back to the old design they’ve used for years after opting for the much-lampooned “Buffaslug” logo. The popular jersey-centric blog shared “leaked” images of the team’s new road white jerseys and also a new third or “alternate” home jersey. Here are both,
(New road jersey, click to enlarge)
(Alternate home jersey, click to enlarge)
Puck Daddy has a review of the possible third jerseys, which seem to be inspired by a popular alternative design by the Minnesota Wild.
The alt-sweater takes the retro theme popularized by the Minnesota Wild and, in our eyes, improves on it. The “BUFFALO” on the front echoes that of the Buffalo Bison in the AHL, while that little logo underneath of it is the Sabres’ anniversary mark, with the year 1970 inside of it. It’s sharper looking than the concept that leaked earlier this year, which was too baseball-ish.
It’s fine (and fun) to nitpick the designs, but I’m just glad they made an improvement over that Gerbil of Death design they previously flaunted. As the blog Icethetics points out, these uniforms haven’t been confirmed by the team, but it seems like the franchise is finally giving fans what they want: the old design. More or less.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)