Sep 8, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
One of the perks of getting NHL ’11 on or around its launch day comes when you see the game’s uniforms and team logos. Back when Reebok changed the way hockey jerseys were designed with their “Edge” series, hockey video games were sometimes a treasure trove of sweater sneak peeks.
While it’s been a long time coming, the game adds even more validity to Icethetics’ claims that the Buffalo Sabres will go back to the old design they’ve used for years after opting for the much-lampooned “Buffaslug” logo. The popular jersey-centric blog shared “leaked” images of the team’s new road white jerseys and also a new third or “alternate” home jersey. Here are both,
(New road jersey, click to enlarge)
(Alternate home jersey, click to enlarge)
Puck Daddy has a review of the possible third jerseys, which seem to be inspired by a popular alternative design by the Minnesota Wild.
The alt-sweater takes the retro theme popularized by the Minnesota Wild and, in our eyes, improves on it. The “BUFFALO” on the front echoes that of the Buffalo Bison in the AHL, while that little logo underneath of it is the Sabres’ anniversary mark, with the year 1970 inside of it. It’s sharper looking than the concept that leaked earlier this year, which was too baseball-ish.
It’s fine (and fun) to nitpick the designs, but I’m just glad they made an improvement over that Gerbil of Death design they previously flaunted. As the blog Icethetics points out, these uniforms haven’t been confirmed by the team, but it seems like the franchise is finally giving fans what they want: the old design. More or less.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 5
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 48
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (48)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)