Sep 8, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Former Devils/Flyers/Senators/Leafs/Oilers defenseman Jason Smith is in some hot water tonight after being arrested for alleged domestic assaults. Canoe in Canada has the disturbing story.
Jason Smith is charged with assaulting his wife and daughter, who QMI Agency is not naming, on Aug. 10 in Calgary.
The 36-year-old also faces a charge he confined his wife at the same time.
He was released shortly after his arrest by Calgary police under conditions he have no contact with the alleged victims, another daughter, as well as in-laws living in Strathmore, Alta.
An ugly situation for sure and one that never reflects well on anyone, most of all the accused. Smith’s lawyer says that there are things that we don’t know about the situation and that no one was seriously harmed. We’ll see how that pans out as time goes on, but right now things look really ugly since Smith isn’t allowed to be within five blocks of the home and he’s got a no-contact condition set against him.
Smith’s case goes back to court on September 17th.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)