Sep 8, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings did some lower-level roster shuffling today.
George Malik passes along the news that the team finally officially signed aging forward Kirk Maltby to a one year, two-way deal while Red Wings GM Ken Holland placed young defenseman Derek Meech on waivers. Maltby’s deal will be worth $525 K at the NHL level and $105K at the AHL level.
The 37-year-old Maltby played with Detroit during most of his 16 NHL seasons, as he joined the team when he was only 24 years old. The 2009-10 season saw a minor dip in his already meager production, as his typical 10-11 point totals dropped to six as he only appeared in 52 regular season games and averaged 10 minutes of ice time per game. Naturally, Maltby is there as a scrappy character guy, so his biggest impact rarely shows up on the scoresheet.
Derek Meech is much younger at 26, but the team found him expendable. It’s not quite as surprising when you look at his career numbers, though. He played in a career high 49 games last season, managing six points and a -12 rating while logging just under 12 minutes per game.
Ansar Khan points out the fact that the Red Wings will probably need to move a forward to the minors before the season starts, so it’s quite possible that training camp could (at least temporarily) make or break Maltby’s status with the team. Meech will need to clear waivers (and possibly hope for a preseason injury or two) to avoid a demotion to the AHL, so the Red Wings could have some interesting storylines going into training camp. We’ll keep you updated.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)