Sep 8, 2010, 7:53 PM EST
You could say that Lightning goalie Dan Ellis has had a rough couple of days on the Internet lately but you’d be downplaying things wildly.
We outlined the Twitter ramblings that got Ellis in hot water with fans yesterday and while I was coming off more like a disappointed father saying that Ellis should be more respectful of his eager audience on Twitter, others like Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy pulled no punches with his wildly misplaced ramblings about having issues with losing 18% of his $1.5 million contract thanks to escrow payments to keep the salary cap at its current level.
Today, Ellis offered an apology for what he said and Lightning Strikes’ Damian Cristodero wraps it up for us.
Said Ellis Wednesday in a statement released by the Lightning: “I am deeply sorry if I offended anyone via my recent statements on Twitter. I should have known better. In the future I will aim to be more sensitive while continuing to offer fans access to me through Twitter. I enjoy the interaction and I think the fans do to.”
If you’re thinking Ellis is just hiding behind the skirt of the team by releasing a statement through them, he’s not and
While we can put this to bed, the worst thing he can be accused of is having a lack of foresight, a lack of respect for his fans and being a bit poor with tact. He’s not an awful person here, just a guy that forgot his position in the world. Seeing a guy get roasted the way he was on Twitter makes me very uncomfortable because I think of what it would be like to be in his shoes and to know you screwed up by sounding off.
Lost in all this is that Ellis does have a complaint to make about getting 18% of his paycheck lopped off for seemingly no good reason. He just needs to voice those concerns to the NHLPA instead of his followers on Twitter.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8