Sep 8, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
You could say that Lightning goalie Dan Ellis has had a rough couple of days on the Internet lately but you’d be downplaying things wildly.
We outlined the Twitter ramblings that got Ellis in hot water with fans yesterday and while I was coming off more like a disappointed father saying that Ellis should be more respectful of his eager audience on Twitter, others like Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy pulled no punches with his wildly misplaced ramblings about having issues with losing 18% of his $1.5 million contract thanks to escrow payments to keep the salary cap at its current level.
Today, Ellis offered an apology for what he said and Lightning Strikes’ Damian Cristodero wraps it up for us.
Said Ellis Wednesday in a statement released by the Lightning: “I am deeply sorry if I offended anyone via my recent statements on Twitter. I should have known better. In the future I will aim to be more sensitive while continuing to offer fans access to me through Twitter. I enjoy the interaction and I think the fans do to.”
If you’re thinking Ellis is just hiding behind the skirt of the team by releasing a statement through them, he’s not and
While we can put this to bed, the worst thing he can be accused of is having a lack of foresight, a lack of respect for his fans and being a bit poor with tact. He’s not an awful person here, just a guy that forgot his position in the world. Seeing a guy get roasted the way he was on Twitter makes me very uncomfortable because I think of what it would be like to be in his shoes and to know you screwed up by sounding off.
Lost in all this is that Ellis does have a complaint to make about getting 18% of his paycheck lopped off for seemingly no good reason. He just needs to voice those concerns to the NHLPA instead of his followers on Twitter.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 8
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 1
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)