Sep 8, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
The Blackhawks aren’t done shopping just yet. Now with Cristobal Huet on his way to Switzerland to give the Hawks the cap relief they so desperately need, they’ve had room to add cost-effective players to the roster and tonight we find out that they very well may have landed a diamond in the rough. CapGeek.com tipped us off tonight that the Hawks have signed Ryan Potulny to a one-year, two-way deal worth the league minimum $500,000.
Last season saw Potulny get his first real shot at the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers and in 65 games, he had 15 goals and 17 assists. Considering how bad the Oilers were last year and the kind of injury issues they had, Potulny had ample time to play and made the most of that opportunity. If his breakout season wasn’t a freak occurrence, the Blackhawks may have found another source of steady-ish offense. Given how loaded Chicago will be on their top two lines, finding more support for the third and fourth lines any way they can is a big deal.
Potulny signing for the league minimum, however, shows what kind of market it is out there for free agent players. That said, getting any kind of guaranteed contract is better than rolling the dice on a camp tryout.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)