Sep 8, 2010, 10:28 PM EST
The Blackhawks aren’t done shopping just yet. Now with Cristobal Huet on his way to Switzerland to give the Hawks the cap relief they so desperately need, they’ve had room to add cost-effective players to the roster and tonight we find out that they very well may have landed a diamond in the rough. CapGeek.com tipped us off tonight that the Hawks have signed Ryan Potulny to a one-year, two-way deal worth the league minimum $500,000.
Last season saw Potulny get his first real shot at the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers and in 65 games, he had 15 goals and 17 assists. Considering how bad the Oilers were last year and the kind of injury issues they had, Potulny had ample time to play and made the most of that opportunity. If his breakout season wasn’t a freak occurrence, the Blackhawks may have found another source of steady-ish offense. Given how loaded Chicago will be on their top two lines, finding more support for the third and fourth lines any way they can is a big deal.
Potulny signing for the league minimum, however, shows what kind of market it is out there for free agent players. That said, getting any kind of guaranteed contract is better than rolling the dice on a camp tryout.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)