Sep 7, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
James Sheppard’s make it or break it year with the Minnesota Wild may have just been decided for him before it even started. Michael Russo of The Star Tribune breaks news that Sheppard will miss the next 3-4 months after being injured in an ATV accident.
Wild center James Sheppard was in an ATV accident yesterday while training in Vail, Colo., and sustained a serious knee injury. Richards called it an injury to his kneecap. He’s already had surgery and will miss up to four months.
This was to be an integral season for the maligned Sheppard. The fourth-year center was already on the bubble to make the team with last month’s signing of veteran John Madden and the emergence of youngsters Casey Wellman and Cody Almond.
Sheppard was signed this off-season to a one-year deal and after multiple underwhelming seasons with the Wild, this was being viewed as his last chance to make something of his career. Sheppard was the Wild’s first round pick (9th overall) in the 2006 draft. In his three seasons in Minnesota, he’s scored a total of 11 goals in 224 games. It might be viewed as being polite to call Sheppard a full-blown bust. As for how the Wild will cope without him, they should be just fine thanks to having John Madden around now as well as Pierre-Marc Bouchard back on the ice as well.
Players getting injured in bizarre recreational vehicle accidents isn’t anything new, unfortunately, as Blues defenseman Erik Johnson was injured two seasons ago while goofing around in a golf cart.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)