Sep 7, 2010, 8:54 AM EDT
Sometimes when you’re having a tough night and want to sound off to an always-willing-to-listen audience it helps to be aware of who makes up your audience. Last night, Tampa Bay Lightning goaltender Dan Ellis was getting down about how much money he and other players in the NHL lose out on because of escrow and
All right so at the very least Ellis dials it down a bit and realizes that being a hockey player is nothing like being a soldier or a firefighter, so he’s got that going for him. What tends to really chap people’s asses is when you pull the “Gotcha!” move and claim you were just goofing around. At least Ellis didn’t go that route…
OK so he did go there. At the very least, Ellis realized that he may have grossly misjudged his very public audience that is now saluting him with either quotes from Biggie Smalls or a brand new hit Internet meme.
All right, so what is our lesson here. Fans don’t like to hear from guys that make more money than most people will ever see in their life talk about financial hardships. That’s a given. We’ve also found out that sometimes players forget how good they’ve got it and getting a dose of reality in a bitingly cruel and sarcastic manner can get both annoying and hilarious so long as you’ve got the sense of humor to handle things.
While Ellis got angry about things and said that he’ll keep things really, really boring if that’s what the fans want (they don’t and guys like Bobby Ryan and Paul Bissonette are proof of that) but this is more about knowing and respecting your audience.
Regular NHL fans aren’t generally rolling in dough and fans spend their extra cash to buy tickets, cable or satellite TV and merchandise while trying to keep a roof over their heads. NHL tickets and merchandise aren’t cheap and all those things go into the big pot to help their favorite teams have the money to spend on players.
It’s one thing to try and identify with your audience by talking about common issues,having Uncle Sam (or Uncle Gary Bettman) take a chunk of your money is a universal gripe, it’s another thing to forget your place in life and realize that you don’t have the same sorts of problems those folks have.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)