Sep 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
The Florida Panthers may not be a team that’s immediately on your radar to watch or think about, but they’re doing some things to really help themselves out in Sunrise, Florida. While some folks might be critical of their plan to use tarps to cover up seats and shrink the maximum capacity for their games, you can’t say they’re not being innovative about selling tickets and trying to win over the casual fans.
Casual fans in south Florida, of course, means football fans and what better to reach out to them than to play into the hands of the Miami Dolphins and their past. George Richards of On Frozen Pond discusses the Panthers plan to unite them with the 1972 Dolphins.
According to the team, from today until kickoff on Sunday, fans can purchase season tickets in “incredible locations” for $19.72 per game — in honor of the 1972 perfect season.
“We’re all excited about the start of football season and hoping for another perfect season from Miami’s favorite football team,” team president Michael Yormark said. “In honor of that, we’re offering fans an incredible deal on Florida Panthers season tickets at just $19.72 per game.”
Mercury Morris gives it a thumbs up.
It’s a neat idea and one that can help fans that may or may not know anything about the Panthers identify better with the team. Given that LeBron James and his circus of mercenaries will also be playing basketball throughout the same season as the Panthers you have to do something to get noticed. Let’s just hope that Mercury Morris can hold off on popping the champagne when the Panthers lose their first game of the season.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)