Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
If reports are to be believed, the ongoing debate over whether or not the Red Wings should re-sign veteran forward Kirk Maltby will be settled within the next day or so. George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press says that an announcement on Maltby is expected very soon.
Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he expects veteran forward Kirk Maltby to sign a one-year, two-way contract within the next 48 hours.
Holland believes Maltby still has something to contribute and wants him to come to training camp in Traverse City.
The Wings will have more forwards than roster spots, so barring any other moves or injuries, Maltby likely would start the season playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League.
From my armchair general manager’s chair, the chances of Maltby winning a job with the Wings this year seem virtually impossible. With the likes of Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Darren Helm and Kris Draper all in the running for jobs on the fourth line, the Wings were already looking at having solid contributors spending nights in the press box.
Maltby would have to show something he hasn’t shown since the late 90s in training camp in order to force Ken Holland’s hand to make a rash decision. For now, it appears that Maltby will be bound for Grand Rapids and the AHL but stranger things have happened.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)