Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
If reports are to be believed, the ongoing debate over whether or not the Red Wings should re-sign veteran forward Kirk Maltby will be settled within the next day or so. George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press says that an announcement on Maltby is expected very soon.
Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he expects veteran forward Kirk Maltby to sign a one-year, two-way contract within the next 48 hours.
Holland believes Maltby still has something to contribute and wants him to come to training camp in Traverse City.
The Wings will have more forwards than roster spots, so barring any other moves or injuries, Maltby likely would start the season playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League.
From my armchair general manager’s chair, the chances of Maltby winning a job with the Wings this year seem virtually impossible. With the likes of Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Darren Helm and Kris Draper all in the running for jobs on the fourth line, the Wings were already looking at having solid contributors spending nights in the press box.
Maltby would have to show something he hasn’t shown since the late 90s in training camp in order to force Ken Holland’s hand to make a rash decision. For now, it appears that Maltby will be bound for Grand Rapids and the AHL but stranger things have happened.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)