Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
If reports are to be believed, the ongoing debate over whether or not the Red Wings should re-sign veteran forward Kirk Maltby will be settled within the next day or so. George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press says that an announcement on Maltby is expected very soon.
Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he expects veteran forward Kirk Maltby to sign a one-year, two-way contract within the next 48 hours.
Holland believes Maltby still has something to contribute and wants him to come to training camp in Traverse City.
The Wings will have more forwards than roster spots, so barring any other moves or injuries, Maltby likely would start the season playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League.
From my armchair general manager’s chair, the chances of Maltby winning a job with the Wings this year seem virtually impossible. With the likes of Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Darren Helm and Kris Draper all in the running for jobs on the fourth line, the Wings were already looking at having solid contributors spending nights in the press box.
Maltby would have to show something he hasn’t shown since the late 90s in training camp in order to force Ken Holland’s hand to make a rash decision. For now, it appears that Maltby will be bound for Grand Rapids and the AHL but stranger things have happened.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)