Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
If reports are to be believed, the ongoing debate over whether or not the Red Wings should re-sign veteran forward Kirk Maltby will be settled within the next day or so. George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press says that an announcement on Maltby is expected very soon.
Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he expects veteran forward Kirk Maltby to sign a one-year, two-way contract within the next 48 hours.
Holland believes Maltby still has something to contribute and wants him to come to training camp in Traverse City.
The Wings will have more forwards than roster spots, so barring any other moves or injuries, Maltby likely would start the season playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League.
From my armchair general manager’s chair, the chances of Maltby winning a job with the Wings this year seem virtually impossible. With the likes of Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Darren Helm and Kris Draper all in the running for jobs on the fourth line, the Wings were already looking at having solid contributors spending nights in the press box.
Maltby would have to show something he hasn’t shown since the late 90s in training camp in order to force Ken Holland’s hand to make a rash decision. For now, it appears that Maltby will be bound for Grand Rapids and the AHL but stranger things have happened.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)