Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 PM EST
If reports are to be believed, the ongoing debate over whether or not the Red Wings should re-sign veteran forward Kirk Maltby will be settled within the next day or so. George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press says that an announcement on Maltby is expected very soon.
Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said today that he expects veteran forward Kirk Maltby to sign a one-year, two-way contract within the next 48 hours.
Holland believes Maltby still has something to contribute and wants him to come to training camp in Traverse City.
The Wings will have more forwards than roster spots, so barring any other moves or injuries, Maltby likely would start the season playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League.
From my armchair general manager’s chair, the chances of Maltby winning a job with the Wings this year seem virtually impossible. With the likes of Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, Darren Helm and Kris Draper all in the running for jobs on the fourth line, the Wings were already looking at having solid contributors spending nights in the press box.
Maltby would have to show something he hasn’t shown since the late 90s in training camp in order to force Ken Holland’s hand to make a rash decision. For now, it appears that Maltby will be bound for Grand Rapids and the AHL but stranger things have happened.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 14
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)