Sep 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
The Devils have salary cap problems and they’re in need of answers before the season starts next month. Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice finds out that one player who has been mentioned as a solution to the Devils cap problems, Brian Rolston, hasn’t been approached at all by the team to send him elsewhere. There’s just one problem, however.
But Roslton has a no-trade clause on the four-year contract he signed two summers ago and would have to agree to waive it to be moved. His agent, Stephen Bartlett, told me today that the Devils have yet to approach Rolston or him about waiving the no-trade clause.
“No, we haven’t had any discussions along those lines,” Bartlett said. “We’ll see how things shake out. They’ve got some work to do. It could be any number of combinations, but I have not had that conversation about anything to do with that with Lou.”
Generally, you aren’t going to ask a player to waive their no-trade clause until you’ve got an interested party or two. I can’t imagine why there isn’t a team interested in a player that’s making over $5 million the next two seasons against the cap and saw his production fall off a cliff last two seasons (35 goals, 34 assists). When the Devils signed Rolston two years ago, those were the sorts of numbers he was putting up in one season and at 37 years-old the outlook doesn’t exactly look bright.
Finding a new home for Rolston would provide the easiest solution to the Devils’ salary cap problems. Unfortunately for them, Rolston with two years left on his overwhelming contract, makes it virtually impossible to move him unless the Devils sweeten the pot with high draft picks. Whether or not Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has another trick up his sleeve remains to be seen.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)