Sep 7, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
I’ll admit it, I was probably one of the original naysayers when it came to Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman.
It’s not that I had (or have) a problem with the guy, but one look at their salary cap situation made me wonder if the son of famed head coach Scotty Bowman was in over his head. While many sports writers will slam the team for the players they lost, I think that Stan acquitted himself quite nicely, especially if Marty Turco does a good job in Antti Niemi’s spot.
(Of course, when you can stash $5.6 million worth of Cristobal Huet in Europe, maybe you’re just as lucky as you are skilled.)
General manager Stan Bowman has been promoted to vice president/general manager in a series of moves by the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The 37-year-old Bowman became the youngest general manager in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup when the Blackhawks defeated the Philadelphia Flyers in June. Chicago’s championship, its first since 1961, came in Bowman’s first year as GM.
Bowman, the son of legendary NHL coach Scotty Bowman, was named the ninth general manager in franchise history on July 14, 2009, when Dale Tallon was demoted. Stan Bowman is now in his 10th season with the Blackhawks after serving in a variety of capacities, including assistant general manager.
He still has “general manager” in his title, which is a good sign for those who are eager to see if the Blackhawks will be able to maintain their place among the NHL’s elite. If they do, then Bowman might fight that old saying of “being promoted to your level of incompetence.” Either way, he deserves this opportunity and a pat on the back, even if previous GM Dale Tallon did a lot of the work for him.
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 0
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)