Sep 7, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
I’ll admit it, I was probably one of the original naysayers when it came to Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman.
It’s not that I had (or have) a problem with the guy, but one look at their salary cap situation made me wonder if the son of famed head coach Scotty Bowman was in over his head. While many sports writers will slam the team for the players they lost, I think that Stan acquitted himself quite nicely, especially if Marty Turco does a good job in Antti Niemi’s spot.
(Of course, when you can stash $5.6 million worth of Cristobal Huet in Europe, maybe you’re just as lucky as you are skilled.)
General manager Stan Bowman has been promoted to vice president/general manager in a series of moves by the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The 37-year-old Bowman became the youngest general manager in NHL history to win a Stanley Cup when the Blackhawks defeated the Philadelphia Flyers in June. Chicago’s championship, its first since 1961, came in Bowman’s first year as GM.
Bowman, the son of legendary NHL coach Scotty Bowman, was named the ninth general manager in franchise history on July 14, 2009, when Dale Tallon was demoted. Stan Bowman is now in his 10th season with the Blackhawks after serving in a variety of capacities, including assistant general manager.
He still has “general manager” in his title, which is a good sign for those who are eager to see if the Blackhawks will be able to maintain their place among the NHL’s elite. If they do, then Bowman might fight that old saying of “being promoted to your level of incompetence.” Either way, he deserves this opportunity and a pat on the back, even if previous GM Dale Tallon did a lot of the work for him.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21