Sep 7, 2010, 4:39 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have added another forward to the mix and made sure to keep their depth strong. Veteran centerman Jeff Halpern has signed with the Canadiens for one year helping boost the depth up the middle for the Habs. Salary details were not made immediately available but once they are we’ll update this post.
(UPDATE: Renaud Lavoie of RDS in Montreal says the one-year deal is worth $600,000.)
Halpern is a solid face-off man and a guy that will make Habs fans think of Dominic Moore or Glen Metropolit. Thankfully the Habs didn’t have to give up a second round pick in order to obtain Halpern. He’ll be a grind line type of player and he’ll be able to plug right into Jacques Martin’s system without much problem.
For Montreal, Halpern now mixes in with the likes of Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller as players that can play up the middle or on the wing. Halpern’s addition also could mean that someone is on the move out of town as the roster appears to be crowded all throughout and the Habs are creeping ever-closer to the salary cap. This move also makes it more difficult for youngsters from Hamilton to make a bid to crack the NHL roster. Ben Maxwell in particular could be directly affected by this signing.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)