Sep 7, 2010, 4:39 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have added another forward to the mix and made sure to keep their depth strong. Veteran centerman Jeff Halpern has signed with the Canadiens for one year helping boost the depth up the middle for the Habs. Salary details were not made immediately available but once they are we’ll update this post.
(UPDATE: Renaud Lavoie of RDS in Montreal says the one-year deal is worth $600,000.)
Halpern is a solid face-off man and a guy that will make Habs fans think of Dominic Moore or Glen Metropolit. Thankfully the Habs didn’t have to give up a second round pick in order to obtain Halpern. He’ll be a grind line type of player and he’ll be able to plug right into Jacques Martin’s system without much problem.
For Montreal, Halpern now mixes in with the likes of Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller as players that can play up the middle or on the wing. Halpern’s addition also could mean that someone is on the move out of town as the roster appears to be crowded all throughout and the Habs are creeping ever-closer to the salary cap. This move also makes it more difficult for youngsters from Hamilton to make a bid to crack the NHL roster. Ben Maxwell in particular could be directly affected by this signing.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)