Sep 6, 2010, 11:47 PM EDT
Who doesn’t love a good, juicy rumor? No, I said rumor, not hamburger. Everyone loves a juicy hamburger too, so I guess that point is moot. Anyhow, there’s speculation out of Ottawa today that Gary Bettman is coming to town on September 15th to meet with Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and GM Bryan Murray. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun seems to think he knows just what the commissioner is coming to town for.
League sources say Bettman could use the forum to confirm the Senators and City of Ottawa will host the NHL all-star weekend for the first time — from Jan 26-29, 2012.
That would coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Senators’ re-entry into the league in 1992-93. In February, more than 25 teams made bids for the 2011-12 all-star weekends.
Obviously an announcement on where the All-Star Game in 2012 hasn’t been made, and the commissioner coming to town to talk over buttered scones and tea with the owner and GM doesn’t exactly happen all the time so something is up. With 25 teams apparently trying to land the game, that means virtually anyone has a shot at landing it.
Keep in mind that Phoenix lost out on hosting the All-Star Game in 2005 thanks to the season-long lockout and at some point they’re going to get the game back. Perhaps the NHL is hoping to have a new owner to show off before rewarding the game to Glendale.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)