Sep 6, 2010, 11:47 PM EDT
Who doesn’t love a good, juicy rumor? No, I said rumor, not hamburger. Everyone loves a juicy hamburger too, so I guess that point is moot. Anyhow, there’s speculation out of Ottawa today that Gary Bettman is coming to town on September 15th to meet with Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and GM Bryan Murray. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun seems to think he knows just what the commissioner is coming to town for.
League sources say Bettman could use the forum to confirm the Senators and City of Ottawa will host the NHL all-star weekend for the first time — from Jan 26-29, 2012.
That would coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Senators’ re-entry into the league in 1992-93. In February, more than 25 teams made bids for the 2011-12 all-star weekends.
Obviously an announcement on where the All-Star Game in 2012 hasn’t been made, and the commissioner coming to town to talk over buttered scones and tea with the owner and GM doesn’t exactly happen all the time so something is up. With 25 teams apparently trying to land the game, that means virtually anyone has a shot at landing it.
Keep in mind that Phoenix lost out on hosting the All-Star Game in 2005 thanks to the season-long lockout and at some point they’re going to get the game back. Perhaps the NHL is hoping to have a new owner to show off before rewarding the game to Glendale.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)