Sep 5, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about a Swedish report saying that former Leafs/Kings/Lightning/Blue Jackets forward Fredrik Modin was going to be signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Today, it appears that that report is true and Kevin Allen of USA Today tweeted the contract details with the Thrashers.
Modin’s contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
Having contract details in hand now, all we’re missing is the official confirmation from the Thrashers on the signing. Modin provides some solid, veteran depth to the left wing. Already rolling with Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane on the left wing, Modin gives the Thrashers someone that GM Rick Dudley knows well and a veteran presence that coach Craig Ramsay can use to set the tone. Modin provides a big body on the ice (6’4″ 214 pounds) and a hard shot.
Modin’s biggest nemesis of late, however, has been his own health. He hasn’t played a true full season of hockey since 2006-2007 when he played in 79 games for the Blue Jackets. In the last three seasons, he’s played 117 games in all and his scoring numbers have suffered accordingly for it. The signing overall is a good one for Atlanta in that they’re not risking a lot in doing so and if it pays off the boost for the Thrashers is immense.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)