Sep 5, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about a Swedish report saying that former Leafs/Kings/Lightning/Blue Jackets forward Fredrik Modin was going to be signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Today, it appears that that report is true and Kevin Allen of USA Today tweeted the contract details with the Thrashers.
Modin’s contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
Having contract details in hand now, all we’re missing is the official confirmation from the Thrashers on the signing. Modin provides some solid, veteran depth to the left wing. Already rolling with Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane on the left wing, Modin gives the Thrashers someone that GM Rick Dudley knows well and a veteran presence that coach Craig Ramsay can use to set the tone. Modin provides a big body on the ice (6’4″ 214 pounds) and a hard shot.
Modin’s biggest nemesis of late, however, has been his own health. He hasn’t played a true full season of hockey since 2006-2007 when he played in 79 games for the Blue Jackets. In the last three seasons, he’s played 117 games in all and his scoring numbers have suffered accordingly for it. The signing overall is a good one for Atlanta in that they’re not risking a lot in doing so and if it pays off the boost for the Thrashers is immense.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)