Sep 5, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about a Swedish report saying that former Leafs/Kings/Lightning/Blue Jackets forward Fredrik Modin was going to be signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Today, it appears that that report is true and Kevin Allen of USA Today tweeted the contract details with the Thrashers.
Modin’s contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
Having contract details in hand now, all we’re missing is the official confirmation from the Thrashers on the signing. Modin provides some solid, veteran depth to the left wing. Already rolling with Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane on the left wing, Modin gives the Thrashers someone that GM Rick Dudley knows well and a veteran presence that coach Craig Ramsay can use to set the tone. Modin provides a big body on the ice (6’4″ 214 pounds) and a hard shot.
Modin’s biggest nemesis of late, however, has been his own health. He hasn’t played a true full season of hockey since 2006-2007 when he played in 79 games for the Blue Jackets. In the last three seasons, he’s played 117 games in all and his scoring numbers have suffered accordingly for it. The signing overall is a good one for Atlanta in that they’re not risking a lot in doing so and if it pays off the boost for the Thrashers is immense.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 0
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 5
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 20
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement