Sep 5, 2010, 1:53 PM EST
Yesterday we told you about a Swedish report saying that former Leafs/Kings/Lightning/Blue Jackets forward Fredrik Modin was going to be signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Today, it appears that that report is true and Kevin Allen of USA Today tweeted the contract details with the Thrashers.
Modin’s contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
Having contract details in hand now, all we’re missing is the official confirmation from the Thrashers on the signing. Modin provides some solid, veteran depth to the left wing. Already rolling with Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane on the left wing, Modin gives the Thrashers someone that GM Rick Dudley knows well and a veteran presence that coach Craig Ramsay can use to set the tone. Modin provides a big body on the ice (6’4″ 214 pounds) and a hard shot.
Modin’s biggest nemesis of late, however, has been his own health. He hasn’t played a true full season of hockey since 2006-2007 when he played in 79 games for the Blue Jackets. In the last three seasons, he’s played 117 games in all and his scoring numbers have suffered accordingly for it. The signing overall is a good one for Atlanta in that they’re not risking a lot in doing so and if it pays off the boost for the Thrashers is immense.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)