Sep 5, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about a Swedish report saying that former Leafs/Kings/Lightning/Blue Jackets forward Fredrik Modin was going to be signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Today, it appears that that report is true and Kevin Allen of USA Today tweeted the contract details with the Thrashers.
Modin’s contract with Atlanta pays him 800k, plus modest bonuses. Could be a bargain if Modin can stay healthy.
Having contract details in hand now, all we’re missing is the official confirmation from the Thrashers on the signing. Modin provides some solid, veteran depth to the left wing. Already rolling with Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane on the left wing, Modin gives the Thrashers someone that GM Rick Dudley knows well and a veteran presence that coach Craig Ramsay can use to set the tone. Modin provides a big body on the ice (6’4″ 214 pounds) and a hard shot.
Modin’s biggest nemesis of late, however, has been his own health. He hasn’t played a true full season of hockey since 2006-2007 when he played in 79 games for the Blue Jackets. In the last three seasons, he’s played 117 games in all and his scoring numbers have suffered accordingly for it. The signing overall is a good one for Atlanta in that they’re not risking a lot in doing so and if it pays off the boost for the Thrashers is immense.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)