Sep 4, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Ah, Google translator … it’s not just for desperate, sweat-on-the-brow English-to-Spanish translations to complete essays for college classes anymore!*
* – Uh, not that the author of this piece ever resorted to such childish measures to pass mandatory language classes or anything. (Cough)
While Pension Plan Puppets power-bombed the Toronto Sun for (allegedly) stealing an actual translation, we at Pro Hockey Talk will follow the path of least resistance and just show you this haphazardly translated article from a reliable Swedish report that says Fredrik Modin is on the verge of signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Rather than putting the telltale (sic) after every charming, lost-in-translation-based mistake, consider this disclaimer to be one big (sic).
Fredrik Modin started last season in Columbus Blue Jackets, but after the Olympic tournament, he switched off to Los Angeles Kings.
Now there will be no continuation of the west coast of the great outer forward.
Instead, the games on the East Coast next season Modin.
According to Sportbladet Modin is consistent with the Atlanta Thrashers on one-year contract.
“Sweden never an option”
In case you need a translation of that translation, it sounds like Modin will sign a one-year contract with the Atlanta Thrashers and that he never really considered playing in Sweden. Keep in mind that the original Swedish report wasn’t riddled with wacky, almost robotic grammatical errors.
Modin had a surprisingly pedestrian statistical season last year (11 points in only 44 games split between the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Los Angeles Kings) but is a useful two-way player with an outstanding shot. He also looks like John Malkovich and the lead actor from “Dexter,” which I think we can all agree matters much more than his actual on-ice abilities.
Anyway, this report isn’t 100 percent official, but if it’s true and the contract isn’t for too much dough, this a solid, low-risk move for what will be a very different looking Atlanta Thrashers team next season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)