Sep 4, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Ah, Google translator … it’s not just for desperate, sweat-on-the-brow English-to-Spanish translations to complete essays for college classes anymore!*
* – Uh, not that the author of this piece ever resorted to such childish measures to pass mandatory language classes or anything. (Cough)
While Pension Plan Puppets power-bombed the Toronto Sun for (allegedly) stealing an actual translation, we at Pro Hockey Talk will follow the path of least resistance and just show you this haphazardly translated article from a reliable Swedish report that says Fredrik Modin is on the verge of signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Rather than putting the telltale (sic) after every charming, lost-in-translation-based mistake, consider this disclaimer to be one big (sic).
Fredrik Modin started last season in Columbus Blue Jackets, but after the Olympic tournament, he switched off to Los Angeles Kings.
Now there will be no continuation of the west coast of the great outer forward.
Instead, the games on the East Coast next season Modin.
According to Sportbladet Modin is consistent with the Atlanta Thrashers on one-year contract.
“Sweden never an option”
In case you need a translation of that translation, it sounds like Modin will sign a one-year contract with the Atlanta Thrashers and that he never really considered playing in Sweden. Keep in mind that the original Swedish report wasn’t riddled with wacky, almost robotic grammatical errors.
Modin had a surprisingly pedestrian statistical season last year (11 points in only 44 games split between the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Los Angeles Kings) but is a useful two-way player with an outstanding shot. He also looks like John Malkovich and the lead actor from “Dexter,” which I think we can all agree matters much more than his actual on-ice abilities.
Anyway, this report isn’t 100 percent official, but if it’s true and the contract isn’t for too much dough, this a solid, low-risk move for what will be a very different looking Atlanta Thrashers team next season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)