Sep 3, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
When Teemu Selanne decided to come back for another year with the Anaheim Ducks, many folks speculated that this year could be his last year in the NHL. While Selanne looked to Paul Kariya to join him for another go-round in southern California (which won’t happen) the motivation is now pretty clear why he tried. Selanne admits to a Finnish newspaper that this year will be his last in the NHL.
An article in Helsingin Sanomat is mostly about Selanne’s post-hockey life, but it does ask him if there is a “back door lurking” when it comes to his yearly dalliances with leaving the game.
“Nope,” Selanne told the paper. “This is my last season on the ice.”
Citing his desire and the offseason changes made to the team, Selanne, 40, signed a one-year, $3.25 million contract with the Ducks in August.
Obviously this isn’t a startling revelation that this will be it for Selanne. He’s been in the NHL since the 1992-1993 season when he scored 76 goals as a rookie on the way to winning the Calder Trophy with the Winnipeg Jets. Playing for that long is a rarity indeed and to be a top player in the game while doing so is just as rare. We can only hope that Selanne can go out the way he came in: firing his glove in the air after scoring a goal and pretending to shoot it down with his stick.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)