Sep 3, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
When Teemu Selanne decided to come back for another year with the Anaheim Ducks, many folks speculated that this year could be his last year in the NHL. While Selanne looked to Paul Kariya to join him for another go-round in southern California (which won’t happen) the motivation is now pretty clear why he tried. Selanne admits to a Finnish newspaper that this year will be his last in the NHL.
An article in Helsingin Sanomat is mostly about Selanne’s post-hockey life, but it does ask him if there is a “back door lurking” when it comes to his yearly dalliances with leaving the game.
“Nope,” Selanne told the paper. “This is my last season on the ice.”
Citing his desire and the offseason changes made to the team, Selanne, 40, signed a one-year, $3.25 million contract with the Ducks in August.
Obviously this isn’t a startling revelation that this will be it for Selanne. He’s been in the NHL since the 1992-1993 season when he scored 76 goals as a rookie on the way to winning the Calder Trophy with the Winnipeg Jets. Playing for that long is a rarity indeed and to be a top player in the game while doing so is just as rare. We can only hope that Selanne can go out the way he came in: firing his glove in the air after scoring a goal and pretending to shoot it down with his stick.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)