Sep 3, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Mario Lemieux will receive the Order of Canada – If there’s one hockey player I will always struggle to be objective about, that person is Super Mario. I’ll go ahead and refrain from gushing here, though.
Oilers’ big three rookies give Edmonton hope for the future – Martin Gerber, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, Nikolai Khabibulin and Devan Dubnyk do not, though.
Looking at Roberto Luongo’s contract after NHL ultimatum – Oh, but the league denied the ultimatum. Hmmm …
Sharks sign goalie Antti Niemi – Not a well-kept secret, but will it be a wise decision?
NHL gives Chris Pronger’s contract the “thumbs up” – Apparently contracts that fail to exploit a loophole and explode in a GM’s face like one of Wile E. Coyotes’ traps are A-OK with the league.
The league makes waves with social media – So why won’t Gary Bettman be friends with me on Facebook, then? (Oh, because I mock him on occasion? Oh, OK.)
Jordan Staal will miss training camp – That’s some bad news, but the Penguins will probably be satisfied if he plays as many of the 82 games that matter as possible.
Marc Savard’s agent threatens to sue if the league voids his contract– Gotta love the old law suit threat.
Canadiens re-sign Carey Price – Pun fans, start your “Price is Right” engines.
Nyjer Morgan was fighting hockey players before he fought minor leaguers – The “hockey players are tougher” crowd will enjoy this.
NHLPA doesn’t even vote to approve or reject Donald Fehr as their leader – Oh, players association. You silly unproductive geese.
How Niittymaki and Greiss feel about Niemi signing – Cliff’s Notes version: Niittymaki is OK and Greiss is a sad panda.
Colorado re-signs Chris Stewart – Pretty solid signing for both sides.
Predators give Boots Del Baggio the boot – This is great news for Nashville fans and the franchise as a whole.
New Blue Jackets coach thinks he can turn things around for Steve Mason, Nikita Filatov – Columbus is definitely banking on the whole “internal improvement” thing.
Sean Avery wants to turn things around next year – He didn’t make nearly enough offensive jokes last season. Slacker.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)