Sep 3, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning added another piece to their new front office puzzle today as the team signed former forward Steve Thomas as a player development consultant, TSN reports.
Thomas will monitor and oversee all of the Lightnings prospects.
Thomas played 1235 games in the NHL, scoring 421 goals over 20 seasons. He played for the Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Islanders, Devils, Ducks and Red Wings.
It’s been an incredibly busy summer for the Lightning. They added new GM Steve Yzerman, a new coach in Guy Boucher, new players including Simon Gagne and some other front office types.
It’s quite common for NHL teams to hire former players as “consultants,” especially with experienced types like Thomas and Chris Chelios. Perhaps they’re going to groom Thomas for a bigger role in the future – either behind the bench or in the front office – or maybe it’s just a moment in which one hockey veteran reaches out to another. Either way, congrats to Thomas as he tries to carve out a post-playing career.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)