Sep 3, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning added another piece to their new front office puzzle today as the team signed former forward Steve Thomas as a player development consultant, TSN reports.
Thomas will monitor and oversee all of the Lightnings prospects.
Thomas played 1235 games in the NHL, scoring 421 goals over 20 seasons. He played for the Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Islanders, Devils, Ducks and Red Wings.
It’s been an incredibly busy summer for the Lightning. They added new GM Steve Yzerman, a new coach in Guy Boucher, new players including Simon Gagne and some other front office types.
It’s quite common for NHL teams to hire former players as “consultants,” especially with experienced types like Thomas and Chris Chelios. Perhaps they’re going to groom Thomas for a bigger role in the future – either behind the bench or in the front office – or maybe it’s just a moment in which one hockey veteran reaches out to another. Either way, congrats to Thomas as he tries to carve out a post-playing career.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 9
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic