Sep 3, 2010, 11:44 PM EDT
Now that Ilya Kovalchuk and his contract are out of the way, we can now spend the rest of our summer speculating on when restricted free agents are going to sign.
Wait, it’s September now? All right, fine. It’s September but that doesn’t mean we still can’t speculate on those RFAs. One guy who has had a bit of an interesting summer regarding reports is Anaheim restricted free agent Bobby Ryan. He’s gone from disagreeing with the Ducks over contract length to confusion over whether the Ducks would trade him or not but now it’s clear that it’s time to talk business. Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register has the latest details of what’s going on with Bobby Ryan.
Talks between the Ducks and winger Bobby Ryan on a new contract appear to have entered an active stage as the two sides held a negotiation session on Friday and have agreed to meet again after Labor Day weekend.
Don Meehan, one of the agents for the 23-year-old goal scorer, confirmed that there was a meeting today but was mum on any details that arose out of the session, particularly whether there was any common ground reached between the Ducks’ desire for a four-year deal or more and Ryan’s wish for nothing more than three years.
Getting both sides together is a great sign for Ducks fans hoping that the rising star will get taken care of and join the rest of the team in training camp. Then again, perhaps Bobby Ryan is worried that Ryan Getzlaf is just going to hassle him more about not winning the gold medal in Vancouver.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)