Sep 3, 2010, 11:44 PM EDT
Now that Ilya Kovalchuk and his contract are out of the way, we can now spend the rest of our summer speculating on when restricted free agents are going to sign.
Wait, it’s September now? All right, fine. It’s September but that doesn’t mean we still can’t speculate on those RFAs. One guy who has had a bit of an interesting summer regarding reports is Anaheim restricted free agent Bobby Ryan. He’s gone from disagreeing with the Ducks over contract length to confusion over whether the Ducks would trade him or not but now it’s clear that it’s time to talk business. Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register has the latest details of what’s going on with Bobby Ryan.
Talks between the Ducks and winger Bobby Ryan on a new contract appear to have entered an active stage as the two sides held a negotiation session on Friday and have agreed to meet again after Labor Day weekend.
Don Meehan, one of the agents for the 23-year-old goal scorer, confirmed that there was a meeting today but was mum on any details that arose out of the session, particularly whether there was any common ground reached between the Ducks’ desire for a four-year deal or more and Ryan’s wish for nothing more than three years.
Getting both sides together is a great sign for Ducks fans hoping that the rising star will get taken care of and join the rest of the team in training camp. Then again, perhaps Bobby Ryan is worried that Ryan Getzlaf is just going to hassle him more about not winning the gold medal in Vancouver.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51