Sep 3, 2010, 11:44 PM EST
Now that Ilya Kovalchuk and his contract are out of the way, we can now spend the rest of our summer speculating on when restricted free agents are going to sign.
Wait, it’s September now? All right, fine. It’s September but that doesn’t mean we still can’t speculate on those RFAs. One guy who has had a bit of an interesting summer regarding reports is Anaheim restricted free agent Bobby Ryan. He’s gone from disagreeing with the Ducks over contract length to confusion over whether the Ducks would trade him or not but now it’s clear that it’s time to talk business. Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register has the latest details of what’s going on with Bobby Ryan.
Talks between the Ducks and winger Bobby Ryan on a new contract appear to have entered an active stage as the two sides held a negotiation session on Friday and have agreed to meet again after Labor Day weekend.
Don Meehan, one of the agents for the 23-year-old goal scorer, confirmed that there was a meeting today but was mum on any details that arose out of the session, particularly whether there was any common ground reached between the Ducks’ desire for a four-year deal or more and Ryan’s wish for nothing more than three years.
Getting both sides together is a great sign for Ducks fans hoping that the rising star will get taken care of and join the rest of the team in training camp. Then again, perhaps Bobby Ryan is worried that Ryan Getzlaf is just going to hassle him more about not winning the gold medal in Vancouver.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)