Sep 2, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the greatest players the NHL has ever seen is being given one of the biggest honors in Canada. Mario Lemieux is going to be given the Order of Canada.
Her Excellency the Right Honorable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, will preside over an Order of Canada Investiture Ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Friday, September 3. The Governor General, will bestow the prestigious honor of officer to Mario Lemieux.
The Order of Canada was created in 1967, during Canada’s centennial year, to recognize a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. Since its creation, more than 5,000 people from all sectors of society have been invested into the Order.
Lemieux received the Order of Quebec in June of 2009.
Lemieux has been a hero to hockey fans in Pittsburgh his whole career and after helping Canada win the gold medal in the 2002 Olympics, he’s been an even bigger rock star north of the border. It’s turning out to be a big year to honor Lemieux as they’ll be erecting a statue of #66 in front of CONSOL Energy Center in December. It’s good to be the guy who saved Pittsburgh.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)