Sep 2, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
One of the greatest players the NHL has ever seen is being given one of the biggest honors in Canada. Mario Lemieux is going to be given the Order of Canada.
Her Excellency the Right Honorable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, will preside over an Order of Canada Investiture Ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Friday, September 3. The Governor General, will bestow the prestigious honor of officer to Mario Lemieux.
The Order of Canada was created in 1967, during Canada’s centennial year, to recognize a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. Since its creation, more than 5,000 people from all sectors of society have been invested into the Order.
Lemieux received the Order of Quebec in June of 2009.
Lemieux has been a hero to hockey fans in Pittsburgh his whole career and after helping Canada win the gold medal in the 2002 Olympics, he’s been an even bigger rock star north of the border. It’s turning out to be a big year to honor Lemieux as they’ll be erecting a statue of #66 in front of CONSOL Energy Center in December. It’s good to be the guy who saved Pittsburgh.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 25
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)