Sep 2, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
Montreal’s week-long nightmare is at an end. The Canadiens announced today that they’re re-signed restricted free agent goalie Carey Price to a two-year contract. The rumored worth of the deal is believed to be worth $5.5 million according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS in Montreal. That’s good for a cap hit of $2.75 million.
This week turned out to be a bit of a bumpy road for fans in Montreal as far as Price was concerned. First there was a report about how Price wanted $3 million a year or else he was going “on strike” to which his agent denied up and down saying it was untrue.
All told, if $3 million was his starting point, Price will be able to see that in the second year of his contract as the breakdown works out to be $2.5 million this season and $3 million next season. Everyone gets what they want and at a nice, cap-friendly number for a guy who will now be Montreal’s #1 goalie no matter what.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)