Sep 2, 2010, 4:06 PM EST
This year’s Lester Patrick Award winners have been announced and if you’re not familiar with the award, it’s given out to those who have made significant contributions to hockey in the United States. This year, the city of Boston has a lot to be proud of considering who will be honored.
Hockey Hall of Famer Cam Neely, U.S. college coaches Jack Parker and Jerry York and American Hockey League president David Andrews have been named recipients of the 2010 Lester Patrick Trophy for outstanding service to hockey in the United States.
If you don’t know who Cam Neely is, I feel sorry for you. The Hockey Hall of Famer made his career with the Boston Bruins as one of the NHLs most punishing power forwards and scorers. He was as fierce with the puck on his stick as he was with his gloves off pounding someone into submission. He’s now the Bruins team president and forever known as “Sea Bass” from the movie Dumb & Dumber.
Jerry York and Jack Parker are two of the winningest coaches in college hockey and they both coach in the same town and against each other as rivals. York is the head coach at Boston College while Parker is head man at Boston University. Having that much coaching greatness in one city seems almost unfair.
David Andrews is the commissioner of the American Hockey League and with him at the helm, the league has flourished and seized control as the NHL’s go-to league for developing talent in the minors. He’s an excitable and emphatic and bold leader and one who you could say is virtually the opposite of Gary Bettman as far as public appearances go.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32