Sep 2, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
This year’s Lester Patrick Award winners have been announced and if you’re not familiar with the award, it’s given out to those who have made significant contributions to hockey in the United States. This year, the city of Boston has a lot to be proud of considering who will be honored.
Hockey Hall of Famer Cam Neely, U.S. college coaches Jack Parker and Jerry York and American Hockey League president David Andrews have been named recipients of the 2010 Lester Patrick Trophy for outstanding service to hockey in the United States.
If you don’t know who Cam Neely is, I feel sorry for you. The Hockey Hall of Famer made his career with the Boston Bruins as one of the NHLs most punishing power forwards and scorers. He was as fierce with the puck on his stick as he was with his gloves off pounding someone into submission. He’s now the Bruins team president and forever known as “Sea Bass” from the movie Dumb & Dumber.
Jerry York and Jack Parker are two of the winningest coaches in college hockey and they both coach in the same town and against each other as rivals. York is the head coach at Boston College while Parker is head man at Boston University. Having that much coaching greatness in one city seems almost unfair.
David Andrews is the commissioner of the American Hockey League and with him at the helm, the league has flourished and seized control as the NHL’s go-to league for developing talent in the minors. He’s an excitable and emphatic and bold leader and one who you could say is virtually the opposite of Gary Bettman as far as public appearances go.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18