Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
While the Pittsburgh Penguins will still be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury’s team, fans will definitely notice some significant changes. Losing Sergei Gonchar might be the biggest problem, but letting go of valuable veteran forward Bill Guerin could be a little painful too.
Especially if he ultimately suits up for their biggest rivals.
Penguins fans face that legitimate possibility today, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Guerin might be on the Philadelphia Flyers’ radar.
Bill Guerin working out in Flyer attire. Tells CSNPhilly.com he hopes to get tryout offer. More on this later.
The Flyers roster is pretty stacked already, with 13 NHL-level forwards under contract and less than $1 million in cap space, so the team might need to send a player down to the minors to make room for Guerin. I’m not sure exactly where he would fit, either, considering the fact that Philadelphia has plenty of fire power in their offensive ranks at the moment.
Then again, it would be a great – and potentially cheap – way of really turning the screws on their cross-state rivals in Pittsburgh. That being said, I’d be shocked that the Penguins wouldn’t be interested in bringing back Guerin in the first place if he wanted only a little bit more than $850K, the Flyers’ current cap space according to CapGeek.com.
As Owen Nolan showed us, there’s a big difference between skating in a team’s attire or facilities and actually signing with the team. All that aside, we’ll let you know if Guerin does in fact sign with the Flyers. Stay tuned.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)