Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
While the Pittsburgh Penguins will still be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury’s team, fans will definitely notice some significant changes. Losing Sergei Gonchar might be the biggest problem, but letting go of valuable veteran forward Bill Guerin could be a little painful too.
Especially if he ultimately suits up for their biggest rivals.
Penguins fans face that legitimate possibility today, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Guerin might be on the Philadelphia Flyers’ radar.
Bill Guerin working out in Flyer attire. Tells CSNPhilly.com he hopes to get tryout offer. More on this later.
The Flyers roster is pretty stacked already, with 13 NHL-level forwards under contract and less than $1 million in cap space, so the team might need to send a player down to the minors to make room for Guerin. I’m not sure exactly where he would fit, either, considering the fact that Philadelphia has plenty of fire power in their offensive ranks at the moment.
Then again, it would be a great – and potentially cheap – way of really turning the screws on their cross-state rivals in Pittsburgh. That being said, I’d be shocked that the Penguins wouldn’t be interested in bringing back Guerin in the first place if he wanted only a little bit more than $850K, the Flyers’ current cap space according to CapGeek.com.
As Owen Nolan showed us, there’s a big difference between skating in a team’s attire or facilities and actually signing with the team. All that aside, we’ll let you know if Guerin does in fact sign with the Flyers. Stay tuned.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)