Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
While the Pittsburgh Penguins will still be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury’s team, fans will definitely notice some significant changes. Losing Sergei Gonchar might be the biggest problem, but letting go of valuable veteran forward Bill Guerin could be a little painful too.
Especially if he ultimately suits up for their biggest rivals.
Penguins fans face that legitimate possibility today, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Guerin might be on the Philadelphia Flyers’ radar.
Bill Guerin working out in Flyer attire. Tells CSNPhilly.com he hopes to get tryout offer. More on this later.
The Flyers roster is pretty stacked already, with 13 NHL-level forwards under contract and less than $1 million in cap space, so the team might need to send a player down to the minors to make room for Guerin. I’m not sure exactly where he would fit, either, considering the fact that Philadelphia has plenty of fire power in their offensive ranks at the moment.
Then again, it would be a great – and potentially cheap – way of really turning the screws on their cross-state rivals in Pittsburgh. That being said, I’d be shocked that the Penguins wouldn’t be interested in bringing back Guerin in the first place if he wanted only a little bit more than $850K, the Flyers’ current cap space according to CapGeek.com.
As Owen Nolan showed us, there’s a big difference between skating in a team’s attire or facilities and actually signing with the team. All that aside, we’ll let you know if Guerin does in fact sign with the Flyers. Stay tuned.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (113)