Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
While the Pittsburgh Penguins will still be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury’s team, fans will definitely notice some significant changes. Losing Sergei Gonchar might be the biggest problem, but letting go of valuable veteran forward Bill Guerin could be a little painful too.
Especially if he ultimately suits up for their biggest rivals.
Penguins fans face that legitimate possibility today, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Guerin might be on the Philadelphia Flyers’ radar.
Bill Guerin working out in Flyer attire. Tells CSNPhilly.com he hopes to get tryout offer. More on this later.
The Flyers roster is pretty stacked already, with 13 NHL-level forwards under contract and less than $1 million in cap space, so the team might need to send a player down to the minors to make room for Guerin. I’m not sure exactly where he would fit, either, considering the fact that Philadelphia has plenty of fire power in their offensive ranks at the moment.
Then again, it would be a great – and potentially cheap – way of really turning the screws on their cross-state rivals in Pittsburgh. That being said, I’d be shocked that the Penguins wouldn’t be interested in bringing back Guerin in the first place if he wanted only a little bit more than $850K, the Flyers’ current cap space according to CapGeek.com.
As Owen Nolan showed us, there’s a big difference between skating in a team’s attire or facilities and actually signing with the team. All that aside, we’ll let you know if Guerin does in fact sign with the Flyers. Stay tuned.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)