Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
While the Pittsburgh Penguins will still be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury’s team, fans will definitely notice some significant changes. Losing Sergei Gonchar might be the biggest problem, but letting go of valuable veteran forward Bill Guerin could be a little painful too.
Especially if he ultimately suits up for their biggest rivals.
Penguins fans face that legitimate possibility today, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Guerin might be on the Philadelphia Flyers’ radar.
Bill Guerin working out in Flyer attire. Tells CSNPhilly.com he hopes to get tryout offer. More on this later.
The Flyers roster is pretty stacked already, with 13 NHL-level forwards under contract and less than $1 million in cap space, so the team might need to send a player down to the minors to make room for Guerin. I’m not sure exactly where he would fit, either, considering the fact that Philadelphia has plenty of fire power in their offensive ranks at the moment.
Then again, it would be a great – and potentially cheap – way of really turning the screws on their cross-state rivals in Pittsburgh. That being said, I’d be shocked that the Penguins wouldn’t be interested in bringing back Guerin in the first place if he wanted only a little bit more than $850K, the Flyers’ current cap space according to CapGeek.com.
As Owen Nolan showed us, there’s a big difference between skating in a team’s attire or facilities and actually signing with the team. All that aside, we’ll let you know if Guerin does in fact sign with the Flyers. Stay tuned.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic