Sep 1, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
At one point quite a few years ago, scouts touted Angelo Esposito as a top notch prospect. Since then, Esposito’s star power plummeted to earth dramatically.
He went from a possible top pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ at No. 20 overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and hasn’t had any luck since then. Considering the fact that he is coming off of ACL surgery, it’s not crazy to wonder if Esposito will ultimately just be part of the answer to the “Who did the Atlanta Thrashers get back in the Marian Hossa trade?” trivia question.
Yet, if you ask new Thrashers GM Rick Dudley, the book on Esposito shouldn’t be closed just yet.
“I don’t think he’s a 200-point scorer. The expectations, from a province [Quebec] so hockey-crazed, built him up into something he shouldn’t have been. I can tell you this: I’ve been impressed from the first day I met him. He’s genuine and hard-working and he gets along with everybody and works his [rear end] off all the time.”
Dudley also wanted to dispel another notion about Esposito that has become widespread and perhaps was among the factors that caused him to fall from a potential No. 1 overall pick to No. 20 where he was selected by Pittsburgh in 2007. Esposito, Dudley said, is not a prima donna.
“Nothing like that at all,” he said. “He’s one of the best kids. He wants nothing more than to play. Give him a role and he’ll do it.”
Though he’s been through a lot of turmoil for a player his age, it’s important to remember that Esposito is only 21-years-old. The Thrashers have seen some dramatic changes and a clear youth movement with forwards such as Evander Kane and Patrice Cormier coming to the forefront. With new general manager Rick Dudley taking over this summer, Esposito might have another chance to make good on what might be considerable untapped potential … or a lot of hot air.
If he’s not a prima donna as many feared, then it would be pretty hard to root against the hard-luck prospect.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)