Sep 1, 2010, 11:05 AM EST
While the Ilya Kovalchuk fiasco could be settled sometime today (heaven help us if the NHL rejects the contract again), some of the major restricted free agent negotiations are still in limbo. Perhaps the biggest impact player in that RFA group is Anaheim Ducks power forward of the present and future Bobby Ryan.
The Ducks and Ryan have hit quite a few road bumps in the process, but it seems like both sides think that Ryan remaining in Anaheim is the ideal scenario. The Orange County Register reports that Ryan, his agent Don Meehan and the Ducks will come together to try to hash out a contract extension this week.
Don Meehan, one of Ryan’s Newport Sports Management agents, told the Register in an e-mail that there are plans to meet with Ducks management as the club’s reigning top goal scorer remains unsigned with training camp less than three weeks away.
Previous discussions have been fruitless until now with the Ducks trying to get their 23-year-old sniper signed to a long-term deal and Ryan hesitant to commit to anything more than three years.
As the OC Register points out, it seems like teams are getting a better sense of urgency when it comes to re-signing RFAs now that training camp is rapidly approaching. Some fairly big fish such as Nashville’s Patric Hornqvist landed new deals, but Ryan and Dallas Stars forward James Neal have an even better track record and even more cash-strapped teams to deal with.
Meeting up might not make Ryan any more willing to sign a longer contract and it might not alleviate the Ducks’ concerns about signing Ryan in the same summer as Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, but hopefully they can come to a reasonable compromise. We could find out as early as this week.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)