Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 PM EST
When Karl Marx discussed “the tragedy of the commons” he focused on the fact that people need an incentive to maintain their surroundings. The phrase might be a good fit for Internet comments sections, too, though. It’s not surprising to see such principles in action when it comes to a player as derisive as Sidney Crosby, but the irate feedback in this post still brings some considerable unintentional comedy.
(I especially enjoy the random, unsolicited insults. Someone called me “an ignorant sac of pus.” Harsh, but fair.)
Anyway, in that post I asked a simple question: do hockey fans think that Sidney Crosby is a dirty player? Such a prompt inspired the biggest voting turnout in PHT’s short history.
(click to enlarge)
While there were plenty (878 or about 46 percent of the voters) who thought that he’s not a dirty player, the majority of PHT readers deemed “Sid the Kid” a dirty player. More than 53 percent – or 1,026 voters – chose the “yes” option.
Does this mean that Crosby is certifiably dirty? Not necessarily, but it indicates that fans perceive him that way (or at least a vocal enough majority doesn’t like him). Whenever one discusses Crosby in a big way, it’s almost natural to also think of his media-designated rival Alex Ovechkin. Considering the fact that Ovechkin received a suspension last season and dealt some very questionable knee-to-knee hits, it’s quite possible that both of the NHL’s biggest marquee talents might be considered dirty. But that’s another poll for another day, I guess.
Hey, I guess they can’t all be Pavel Datsyuk though, right?
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)