Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
When Karl Marx discussed “the tragedy of the commons” he focused on the fact that people need an incentive to maintain their surroundings. The phrase might be a good fit for Internet comments sections, too, though. It’s not surprising to see such principles in action when it comes to a player as derisive as Sidney Crosby, but the irate feedback in this post still brings some considerable unintentional comedy.
(I especially enjoy the random, unsolicited insults. Someone called me “an ignorant sac of pus.” Harsh, but fair.)
Anyway, in that post I asked a simple question: do hockey fans think that Sidney Crosby is a dirty player? Such a prompt inspired the biggest voting turnout in PHT’s short history.
(click to enlarge)
While there were plenty (878 or about 46 percent of the voters) who thought that he’s not a dirty player, the majority of PHT readers deemed “Sid the Kid” a dirty player. More than 53 percent – or 1,026 voters – chose the “yes” option.
Does this mean that Crosby is certifiably dirty? Not necessarily, but it indicates that fans perceive him that way (or at least a vocal enough majority doesn’t like him). Whenever one discusses Crosby in a big way, it’s almost natural to also think of his media-designated rival Alex Ovechkin. Considering the fact that Ovechkin received a suspension last season and dealt some very questionable knee-to-knee hits, it’s quite possible that both of the NHL’s biggest marquee talents might be considered dirty. But that’s another poll for another day, I guess.
Hey, I guess they can’t all be Pavel Datsyuk though, right?
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 15
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 48
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 86
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games