Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
When Karl Marx discussed “the tragedy of the commons” he focused on the fact that people need an incentive to maintain their surroundings. The phrase might be a good fit for Internet comments sections, too, though. It’s not surprising to see such principles in action when it comes to a player as derisive as Sidney Crosby, but the irate feedback in this post still brings some considerable unintentional comedy.
(I especially enjoy the random, unsolicited insults. Someone called me “an ignorant sac of pus.” Harsh, but fair.)
Anyway, in that post I asked a simple question: do hockey fans think that Sidney Crosby is a dirty player? Such a prompt inspired the biggest voting turnout in PHT’s short history.
(click to enlarge)
While there were plenty (878 or about 46 percent of the voters) who thought that he’s not a dirty player, the majority of PHT readers deemed “Sid the Kid” a dirty player. More than 53 percent – or 1,026 voters – chose the “yes” option.
Does this mean that Crosby is certifiably dirty? Not necessarily, but it indicates that fans perceive him that way (or at least a vocal enough majority doesn’t like him). Whenever one discusses Crosby in a big way, it’s almost natural to also think of his media-designated rival Alex Ovechkin. Considering the fact that Ovechkin received a suspension last season and dealt some very questionable knee-to-knee hits, it’s quite possible that both of the NHL’s biggest marquee talents might be considered dirty. But that’s another poll for another day, I guess.
Hey, I guess they can’t all be Pavel Datsyuk though, right?
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)