Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
When Karl Marx discussed “the tragedy of the commons” he focused on the fact that people need an incentive to maintain their surroundings. The phrase might be a good fit for Internet comments sections, too, though. It’s not surprising to see such principles in action when it comes to a player as derisive as Sidney Crosby, but the irate feedback in this post still brings some considerable unintentional comedy.
(I especially enjoy the random, unsolicited insults. Someone called me “an ignorant sac of pus.” Harsh, but fair.)
Anyway, in that post I asked a simple question: do hockey fans think that Sidney Crosby is a dirty player? Such a prompt inspired the biggest voting turnout in PHT’s short history.
(click to enlarge)
While there were plenty (878 or about 46 percent of the voters) who thought that he’s not a dirty player, the majority of PHT readers deemed “Sid the Kid” a dirty player. More than 53 percent – or 1,026 voters – chose the “yes” option.
Does this mean that Crosby is certifiably dirty? Not necessarily, but it indicates that fans perceive him that way (or at least a vocal enough majority doesn’t like him). Whenever one discusses Crosby in a big way, it’s almost natural to also think of his media-designated rival Alex Ovechkin. Considering the fact that Ovechkin received a suspension last season and dealt some very questionable knee-to-knee hits, it’s quite possible that both of the NHL’s biggest marquee talents might be considered dirty. But that’s another poll for another day, I guess.
Hey, I guess they can’t all be Pavel Datsyuk though, right?
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)