Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 PM EDT
What the sentence entails is this according to Arizona Vibe Sports.
Min sentence = 30 days Min Fine = $507.60 DUI Assessment + $500.00 DPS + Jail Costs. Plus State Certified Alcohol Screening and counseling.
Khabibulin’s attorney has already filed an appeal on the sentence and says that Khabibulin has been undergoing counseling and treatment since the incident occurred. With the appeal being filed, it’s unknown when the appeal will be heard but it could take a while. In the meantime, the sentence is on hold because of the appeal and Khabibulin is free to go.
This makes the move to appeal a bit curious as it’s not likely to help him rally support. What Khabibulin was busted on and punished for shows a tremendous lack of judgment and certainly put others at risk for driving so recklessly and with his abilities impaired. Drunk driving is serious business and cannot be condoned in any way.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini in his statement today says that Khabibulin doesn’t have a problem with alcohol but will be entering the NHLPA treatment program regardless. More importantly for the Oilers, Tambellini says he expects that Khabibulin will be at training camp. I can’t imagine how awkward that might turn out, but being back with the players generally helps settle someone down when personal matters flare up.
Update: Here’s video of Oilers GM Steve Tambellini discussing Khabibulin’s sentence.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)