Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 PM EDT
What the sentence entails is this according to Arizona Vibe Sports.
Min sentence = 30 days Min Fine = $507.60 DUI Assessment + $500.00 DPS + Jail Costs. Plus State Certified Alcohol Screening and counseling.
Khabibulin’s attorney has already filed an appeal on the sentence and says that Khabibulin has been undergoing counseling and treatment since the incident occurred. With the appeal being filed, it’s unknown when the appeal will be heard but it could take a while. In the meantime, the sentence is on hold because of the appeal and Khabibulin is free to go.
This makes the move to appeal a bit curious as it’s not likely to help him rally support. What Khabibulin was busted on and punished for shows a tremendous lack of judgment and certainly put others at risk for driving so recklessly and with his abilities impaired. Drunk driving is serious business and cannot be condoned in any way.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini in his statement today says that Khabibulin doesn’t have a problem with alcohol but will be entering the NHLPA treatment program regardless. More importantly for the Oilers, Tambellini says he expects that Khabibulin will be at training camp. I can’t imagine how awkward that might turn out, but being back with the players generally helps settle someone down when personal matters flare up.
Update: Here’s video of Oilers GM Steve Tambellini discussing Khabibulin’s sentence.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)