Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 PM EST
What the sentence entails is this according to Arizona Vibe Sports.
Min sentence = 30 days Min Fine = $507.60 DUI Assessment + $500.00 DPS + Jail Costs. Plus State Certified Alcohol Screening and counseling.
Khabibulin’s attorney has already filed an appeal on the sentence and says that Khabibulin has been undergoing counseling and treatment since the incident occurred. With the appeal being filed, it’s unknown when the appeal will be heard but it could take a while. In the meantime, the sentence is on hold because of the appeal and Khabibulin is free to go.
This makes the move to appeal a bit curious as it’s not likely to help him rally support. What Khabibulin was busted on and punished for shows a tremendous lack of judgment and certainly put others at risk for driving so recklessly and with his abilities impaired. Drunk driving is serious business and cannot be condoned in any way.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini in his statement today says that Khabibulin doesn’t have a problem with alcohol but will be entering the NHLPA treatment program regardless. More importantly for the Oilers, Tambellini says he expects that Khabibulin will be at training camp. I can’t imagine how awkward that might turn out, but being back with the players generally helps settle someone down when personal matters flare up.
Update: Here’s video of Oilers GM Steve Tambellini discussing Khabibulin’s sentence.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)