Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 PM EDT
What the sentence entails is this according to Arizona Vibe Sports.
Min sentence = 30 days Min Fine = $507.60 DUI Assessment + $500.00 DPS + Jail Costs. Plus State Certified Alcohol Screening and counseling.
Khabibulin’s attorney has already filed an appeal on the sentence and says that Khabibulin has been undergoing counseling and treatment since the incident occurred. With the appeal being filed, it’s unknown when the appeal will be heard but it could take a while. In the meantime, the sentence is on hold because of the appeal and Khabibulin is free to go.
This makes the move to appeal a bit curious as it’s not likely to help him rally support. What Khabibulin was busted on and punished for shows a tremendous lack of judgment and certainly put others at risk for driving so recklessly and with his abilities impaired. Drunk driving is serious business and cannot be condoned in any way.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini in his statement today says that Khabibulin doesn’t have a problem with alcohol but will be entering the NHLPA treatment program regardless. More importantly for the Oilers, Tambellini says he expects that Khabibulin will be at training camp. I can’t imagine how awkward that might turn out, but being back with the players generally helps settle someone down when personal matters flare up.
Update: Here’s video of Oilers GM Steve Tambellini discussing Khabibulin’s sentence.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)