Aug 31, 2010, 7:36 PM EDT
What the sentence entails is this according to Arizona Vibe Sports.
Min sentence = 30 days Min Fine = $507.60 DUI Assessment + $500.00 DPS + Jail Costs. Plus State Certified Alcohol Screening and counseling.
Khabibulin’s attorney has already filed an appeal on the sentence and says that Khabibulin has been undergoing counseling and treatment since the incident occurred. With the appeal being filed, it’s unknown when the appeal will be heard but it could take a while. In the meantime, the sentence is on hold because of the appeal and Khabibulin is free to go.
This makes the move to appeal a bit curious as it’s not likely to help him rally support. What Khabibulin was busted on and punished for shows a tremendous lack of judgment and certainly put others at risk for driving so recklessly and with his abilities impaired. Drunk driving is serious business and cannot be condoned in any way.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini in his statement today says that Khabibulin doesn’t have a problem with alcohol but will be entering the NHLPA treatment program regardless. More importantly for the Oilers, Tambellini says he expects that Khabibulin will be at training camp. I can’t imagine how awkward that might turn out, but being back with the players generally helps settle someone down when personal matters flare up.
Update: Here’s video of Oilers GM Steve Tambellini discussing Khabibulin’s sentence.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)