Aug 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
A little more than a week ago, we touched on the issues Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall continues to face thanks to knee problems. Kronwall and the team are hoping minor surgery will help his knee feel close to 100 percent.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday morning. Doctors discovered a lateral meniscus tear.
Kronwall is expected to be idled for two weeks but should be ready to skate at the start of training camp Sept. 18 in Traverse City.
“Unless we have some unforeseen setback, we would anticipate he’ll [be back] on the ice at the start of camp,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
(Note: I added [be back] to Holland’s quote for the sake of clarity.)
Holland went on to say that many players bounce back from arthroscopic surgery in as little as 10-14 days, but if I were the Red Wings, I’d make sure not to rush Kronwall back. I’m sure training camp is important, but Kronwall is far from a rookie and coach Mike Babcock has been with the team long enough that he’ll probably only make minor tweaks to his system rather than big changes.
Hopefully Kronwall’s knee will be back to normal, but you never know with knee injuries.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)