Aug 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
A little more than a week ago, we touched on the issues Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall continues to face thanks to knee problems. Kronwall and the team are hoping minor surgery will help his knee feel close to 100 percent.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday morning. Doctors discovered a lateral meniscus tear.
Kronwall is expected to be idled for two weeks but should be ready to skate at the start of training camp Sept. 18 in Traverse City.
“Unless we have some unforeseen setback, we would anticipate he’ll [be back] on the ice at the start of camp,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
(Note: I added [be back] to Holland’s quote for the sake of clarity.)
Holland went on to say that many players bounce back from arthroscopic surgery in as little as 10-14 days, but if I were the Red Wings, I’d make sure not to rush Kronwall back. I’m sure training camp is important, but Kronwall is far from a rookie and coach Mike Babcock has been with the team long enough that he’ll probably only make minor tweaks to his system rather than big changes.
Hopefully Kronwall’s knee will be back to normal, but you never know with knee injuries.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)