Aug 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
A little more than a week ago, we touched on the issues Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall continues to face thanks to knee problems. Kronwall and the team are hoping minor surgery will help his knee feel close to 100 percent.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday morning. Doctors discovered a lateral meniscus tear.
Kronwall is expected to be idled for two weeks but should be ready to skate at the start of training camp Sept. 18 in Traverse City.
“Unless we have some unforeseen setback, we would anticipate he’ll [be back] on the ice at the start of camp,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
(Note: I added [be back] to Holland’s quote for the sake of clarity.)
Holland went on to say that many players bounce back from arthroscopic surgery in as little as 10-14 days, but if I were the Red Wings, I’d make sure not to rush Kronwall back. I’m sure training camp is important, but Kronwall is far from a rookie and coach Mike Babcock has been with the team long enough that he’ll probably only make minor tweaks to his system rather than big changes.
Hopefully Kronwall’s knee will be back to normal, but you never know with knee injuries.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)