Aug 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
A little more than a week ago, we touched on the issues Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall continues to face thanks to knee problems. Kronwall and the team are hoping minor surgery will help his knee feel close to 100 percent.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday morning. Doctors discovered a lateral meniscus tear.
Kronwall is expected to be idled for two weeks but should be ready to skate at the start of training camp Sept. 18 in Traverse City.
“Unless we have some unforeseen setback, we would anticipate he’ll [be back] on the ice at the start of camp,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
(Note: I added [be back] to Holland’s quote for the sake of clarity.)
Holland went on to say that many players bounce back from arthroscopic surgery in as little as 10-14 days, but if I were the Red Wings, I’d make sure not to rush Kronwall back. I’m sure training camp is important, but Kronwall is far from a rookie and coach Mike Babcock has been with the team long enough that he’ll probably only make minor tweaks to his system rather than big changes.
Hopefully Kronwall’s knee will be back to normal, but you never know with knee injuries.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)