Aug 31, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
A little more than a week ago, we touched on the issues Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall continues to face thanks to knee problems. Kronwall and the team are hoping minor surgery will help his knee feel close to 100 percent.
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday morning. Doctors discovered a lateral meniscus tear.
Kronwall is expected to be idled for two weeks but should be ready to skate at the start of training camp Sept. 18 in Traverse City.
“Unless we have some unforeseen setback, we would anticipate he’ll [be back] on the ice at the start of camp,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.
(Note: I added [be back] to Holland’s quote for the sake of clarity.)
Holland went on to say that many players bounce back from arthroscopic surgery in as little as 10-14 days, but if I were the Red Wings, I’d make sure not to rush Kronwall back. I’m sure training camp is important, but Kronwall is far from a rookie and coach Mike Babcock has been with the team long enough that he’ll probably only make minor tweaks to his system rather than big changes.
Hopefully Kronwall’s knee will be back to normal, but you never know with knee injuries.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off