Aug 31, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made a depth signing today, signing 27-year-old defenseman Aaron Johnson to a one-year deal. The team reports that it is a two-way contract worth $550K at the NHL level and $105K when he plays in the AHL.
Johnson, 27 (4/30/83), split the 2009-10 season between Calgary (22 games) and Edmonton (19 games), posting a career high in goals (4) while tying a personal best in points (10). The 6-1, 208-pounder also a averaged career high 15:39 of ice time a season ago. In an NHL career that started in 2003-04 the Port Hawkesbury, N.S., native has racked up 46 points (14g-32a) and 191 penalty minutes in 225 games with the Flames, Oilers, Chicago, N.Y. Islanders and Columbus.
According to the scouting reports by The Hockey News, Johnson is noted for being better in the offensive end than his own zone. He’s a fairly large player (listed at 6’1″, 211 lbs.) and saw a big jump in minutes when he switched from the Flames (about 12 minutes per game) to the Oilers (a little bit more than 19 minutes per game).
From the looks of things, Johnson might have a chance to be a seventh defenseman (or useful minor leaguer) for the Predators. The team might not hit high marks for flashy play, but they gave the Chicago Blackhawks genuine headaches in the first round of the playoffs and always seem to scrap their way to relevance.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)