Aug 31, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have tied up their final loose end ahead of training camp. The team announced today that they’ve re-signed restricted free agent Christian Hanson to a one-year deal.
Hanson was the last of the team’s restricted free agents and while it’s making news in Toronto today because it’s the off-season and there’s nothing else hockey-wise going on, Hanson is just mainly a depth player. Brian Burke likes him and he’s a former player at Notre Dame in the NCAA so he’s got that going for him. Hanson had two goals last year for the Leafs after seeing most of his time spent in the AHL. Expect Hanson to get a shot at the third or fourth line center job if things break right for him in training camp.
The next move or moves for the Maple Leafs will be to see who gets moved in order to get the team under the salary cap. Expect this to be the source of great debate and lots of fingers being pointed at Leafs defenseman Jeff Finger. It’s possible that Finger could be sent to the AHL with his $3.5 million cap hit. Just thank me for not getting any further word play involved there on Jeff Finger’s name.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 0
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 7
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 18
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20