Aug 31, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have tied up their final loose end ahead of training camp. The team announced today that they’ve re-signed restricted free agent Christian Hanson to a one-year deal.
Hanson was the last of the team’s restricted free agents and while it’s making news in Toronto today because it’s the off-season and there’s nothing else hockey-wise going on, Hanson is just mainly a depth player. Brian Burke likes him and he’s a former player at Notre Dame in the NCAA so he’s got that going for him. Hanson had two goals last year for the Leafs after seeing most of his time spent in the AHL. Expect Hanson to get a shot at the third or fourth line center job if things break right for him in training camp.
The next move or moves for the Maple Leafs will be to see who gets moved in order to get the team under the salary cap. Expect this to be the source of great debate and lots of fingers being pointed at Leafs defenseman Jeff Finger. It’s possible that Finger could be sent to the AHL with his $3.5 million cap hit. Just thank me for not getting any further word play involved there on Jeff Finger’s name.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)