Aug 31, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have tied up their final loose end ahead of training camp. The team announced today that they’ve re-signed restricted free agent Christian Hanson to a one-year deal.
Hanson was the last of the team’s restricted free agents and while it’s making news in Toronto today because it’s the off-season and there’s nothing else hockey-wise going on, Hanson is just mainly a depth player. Brian Burke likes him and he’s a former player at Notre Dame in the NCAA so he’s got that going for him. Hanson had two goals last year for the Leafs after seeing most of his time spent in the AHL. Expect Hanson to get a shot at the third or fourth line center job if things break right for him in training camp.
The next move or moves for the Maple Leafs will be to see who gets moved in order to get the team under the salary cap. Expect this to be the source of great debate and lots of fingers being pointed at Leafs defenseman Jeff Finger. It’s possible that Finger could be sent to the AHL with his $3.5 million cap hit. Just thank me for not getting any further word play involved there on Jeff Finger’s name.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)