Aug 31, 2010, 8:42 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have tied up their final loose end ahead of training camp. The team announced today that they’ve re-signed restricted free agent Christian Hanson to a one-year deal.
Hanson was the last of the team’s restricted free agents and while it’s making news in Toronto today because it’s the off-season and there’s nothing else hockey-wise going on, Hanson is just mainly a depth player. Brian Burke likes him and he’s a former player at Notre Dame in the NCAA so he’s got that going for him. Hanson had two goals last year for the Leafs after seeing most of his time spent in the AHL. Expect Hanson to get a shot at the third or fourth line center job if things break right for him in training camp.
The next move or moves for the Maple Leafs will be to see who gets moved in order to get the team under the salary cap. Expect this to be the source of great debate and lots of fingers being pointed at Leafs defenseman Jeff Finger. It’s possible that Finger could be sent to the AHL with his $3.5 million cap hit. Just thank me for not getting any further word play involved there on Jeff Finger’s name.
(Photo: Richard Wolowicz – Getty Images)
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)