Aug 30, 2010, 7:15 PM EST
While the “need” for playing cards drops as the Internet becomes the primary resource for stats, there’s still something quaint and pleasant about flipping through an Upper Deck pack. (Especially when they have those amusing gimmick cards with tiny pieces of game-worn jerseys, or sticks … although they really need to get their hands on Jaromir Jagr’s mullet for future sets.)
Card companies and the NHL Players Association will gather 23 rookies-to-be to pose in their team’s uniforms and snap some action shots for the 2010 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. Here is the list of players, a group that includes Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, the top two picks from the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Taylor Hall (EDM), Tyler Seguin (BOS), Nazem Kadri (TOR), Jordan Eberle (EDM), Kyle Beach (CHI), Jonathon Blum (NSH), Joe Colborne (BOS), Scott Glennie (DAL), Erik Gudbranson (FLA), Calvin de Haan (NYI ), Zach Hamill (BOS), Ryan Johansen (CBJ), Jacob Markstrom (FLA), Ryan McDonagh (NYR), Chet Pickard (NSH), Brayden Schenn (LAK), Jordan Schroeder (VAN), Kevin Shattenkirk (COL), Jeff Skinner (CAR), Magnus Svensson Paajarvi (EDM), Tomas Tatar (DET), Mattias Tedenby (NJ), and Mats Zuccarello-Aasen (NYR).
There’s no guarantee that each one of those players will make their big clubs out of training camp, but that list reads as a Who’s Who of potential Calder Trophy candidates during the 2010-11 season.
Will it be Hall, Seguin or a dark horse contender? Last year was a great one for rookies, so hopefully the next wave of talent will continue to infuse the NHL with even better talent.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)