Aug 30, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
While the “need” for playing cards drops as the Internet becomes the primary resource for stats, there’s still something quaint and pleasant about flipping through an Upper Deck pack. (Especially when they have those amusing gimmick cards with tiny pieces of game-worn jerseys, or sticks … although they really need to get their hands on Jaromir Jagr’s mullet for future sets.)
Card companies and the NHL Players Association will gather 23 rookies-to-be to pose in their team’s uniforms and snap some action shots for the 2010 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. Here is the list of players, a group that includes Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, the top two picks from the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Taylor Hall (EDM), Tyler Seguin (BOS), Nazem Kadri (TOR), Jordan Eberle (EDM), Kyle Beach (CHI), Jonathon Blum (NSH), Joe Colborne (BOS), Scott Glennie (DAL), Erik Gudbranson (FLA), Calvin de Haan (NYI ), Zach Hamill (BOS), Ryan Johansen (CBJ), Jacob Markstrom (FLA), Ryan McDonagh (NYR), Chet Pickard (NSH), Brayden Schenn (LAK), Jordan Schroeder (VAN), Kevin Shattenkirk (COL), Jeff Skinner (CAR), Magnus Svensson Paajarvi (EDM), Tomas Tatar (DET), Mattias Tedenby (NJ), and Mats Zuccarello-Aasen (NYR).
There’s no guarantee that each one of those players will make their big clubs out of training camp, but that list reads as a Who’s Who of potential Calder Trophy candidates during the 2010-11 season.
Will it be Hall, Seguin or a dark horse contender? Last year was a great one for rookies, so hopefully the next wave of talent will continue to infuse the NHL with even better talent.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)