Aug 30, 2010, 7:15 PM EST
While the “need” for playing cards drops as the Internet becomes the primary resource for stats, there’s still something quaint and pleasant about flipping through an Upper Deck pack. (Especially when they have those amusing gimmick cards with tiny pieces of game-worn jerseys, or sticks … although they really need to get their hands on Jaromir Jagr’s mullet for future sets.)
Card companies and the NHL Players Association will gather 23 rookies-to-be to pose in their team’s uniforms and snap some action shots for the 2010 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. Here is the list of players, a group that includes Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, the top two picks from the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Taylor Hall (EDM), Tyler Seguin (BOS), Nazem Kadri (TOR), Jordan Eberle (EDM), Kyle Beach (CHI), Jonathon Blum (NSH), Joe Colborne (BOS), Scott Glennie (DAL), Erik Gudbranson (FLA), Calvin de Haan (NYI ), Zach Hamill (BOS), Ryan Johansen (CBJ), Jacob Markstrom (FLA), Ryan McDonagh (NYR), Chet Pickard (NSH), Brayden Schenn (LAK), Jordan Schroeder (VAN), Kevin Shattenkirk (COL), Jeff Skinner (CAR), Magnus Svensson Paajarvi (EDM), Tomas Tatar (DET), Mattias Tedenby (NJ), and Mats Zuccarello-Aasen (NYR).
There’s no guarantee that each one of those players will make their big clubs out of training camp, but that list reads as a Who’s Who of potential Calder Trophy candidates during the 2010-11 season.
Will it be Hall, Seguin or a dark horse contender? Last year was a great one for rookies, so hopefully the next wave of talent will continue to infuse the NHL with even better talent.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)