Aug 30, 2010, 1:51 PM EST
With how things have changed in Raleigh for the Hurricanes just in the last year, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who is overly excited about the team’s chances. Going into a season with as much youth as the Hurricanes will be putting out on the ice on a nightly basis, growing pains will be tough for the team but one veteran is excited by the energy that comes with youth as Canes Now’s Chip Alexander tells us.
The changeover of the team has been dramatic. Brind’Amour has retired and Whitney is gone. Kostopoulos looked around him today in the locker room to find Drayson Bowman, Zac Dalpe, Matt Kennedy, Chris Terry and Jared Staal, among others.
“The age difference is huge,” Kostopoulos said. “You see the energy of the young guys and how they’re working and how bad they want it.
“It’s good to see them working hard on the ice. I think it brings a whole different energy to the team. They all seem like they have good heads on their shoulders and are headed in the right direction. …
“It’s a whole new ballgame this year.”
Sure that’s a lot of youth, the question is how many of them are going to be consistent contributors on a nightly basis. While a guy like Drayson Bowman shapes up to be a highlight rookie for the team, guys like Dalpe, Kennedy, Terry and the youngest of the Staal brothers, Jared, might be spending the majority of this season in the AHL in Charlotte. If goalie Cam Ward can stay healthy all season and Eric Staal continues to evolve into one of the game’s premiere scorers, the Hurricanes could turn out to be a feel good story this year, but you have to think that expectations around the league are a bit low.
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 0
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5