Aug 30, 2010, 1:51 PM EDT
With how things have changed in Raleigh for the Hurricanes just in the last year, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who is overly excited about the team’s chances. Going into a season with as much youth as the Hurricanes will be putting out on the ice on a nightly basis, growing pains will be tough for the team but one veteran is excited by the energy that comes with youth as Canes Now’s Chip Alexander tells us.
The changeover of the team has been dramatic. Brind’Amour has retired and Whitney is gone. Kostopoulos looked around him today in the locker room to find Drayson Bowman, Zac Dalpe, Matt Kennedy, Chris Terry and Jared Staal, among others.
“The age difference is huge,” Kostopoulos said. “You see the energy of the young guys and how they’re working and how bad they want it.
“It’s good to see them working hard on the ice. I think it brings a whole different energy to the team. They all seem like they have good heads on their shoulders and are headed in the right direction. …
“It’s a whole new ballgame this year.”
Sure that’s a lot of youth, the question is how many of them are going to be consistent contributors on a nightly basis. While a guy like Drayson Bowman shapes up to be a highlight rookie for the team, guys like Dalpe, Kennedy, Terry and the youngest of the Staal brothers, Jared, might be spending the majority of this season in the AHL in Charlotte. If goalie Cam Ward can stay healthy all season and Eric Staal continues to evolve into one of the game’s premiere scorers, the Hurricanes could turn out to be a feel good story this year, but you have to think that expectations around the league are a bit low.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)