Aug 30, 2010, 5:26 PM EDT
Right when you think things are starting to get dire with the City of Glendale’s search for a new buyer for the Coyotes, something always comes up to reinvigorate chatter. Consider today to be that day. The Phoenix Business Journal reports that, once again, a new and unknown group demanding secrecy to better negotiate with Glendale has come out of nowhere to express serious interest in buying the Coyotes.
An undisclosed wealthy buyer is leading a new ownership group that is interested in buying the Coyotes from the NHL. The league has owned the team since October when it bought the Coyotes via Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Details of the new ownership group are very limited, though Glendale and the NHL could announce details and developments soon, according to sources familiar with the situation. The ownership group has asked for the city and league to keep negotiations private. The new buyer would keep the Coyotes in Glendale and is not a household name. In addition, sources say progress on the purchase is serious and substantial.
If you’ve been keeping up with this agonizing saga all along, you know that Ice Edge Holdings is the current front runner for the team and that they’ve been remarkably quiet all summer long in regard to buying the team. Don’t worry, they know all about this supposed new buyer and Ice Edge CEO Keith McCullough issued this statement:
“We understand another party that we have become acquainted with is in advanced negotiations with Glendale and an announcement could happen soon. If this occurs, we expect to continue to be involved with the Coyotes as an adviser for the foreseeable future.”
As always with news that concerns interested parties in buying the Coyotes stay tuned for further action, or inaction as things go. At least some folks can have some fun with the news, or lack thereof, when it comes to the Coyotes dealings as ESPN’s Scott Burnside had the Tweet of the Day:
No truth to reports out of Gong-dale that ‘mystery’ buyers for Coyotes include Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Dos Equis dude.
Stay thirsty for a new owner, my friends.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)