Aug 30, 2010, 5:26 PM EST
Right when you think things are starting to get dire with the City of Glendale’s search for a new buyer for the Coyotes, something always comes up to reinvigorate chatter. Consider today to be that day. The Phoenix Business Journal reports that, once again, a new and unknown group demanding secrecy to better negotiate with Glendale has come out of nowhere to express serious interest in buying the Coyotes.
An undisclosed wealthy buyer is leading a new ownership group that is interested in buying the Coyotes from the NHL. The league has owned the team since October when it bought the Coyotes via Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Details of the new ownership group are very limited, though Glendale and the NHL could announce details and developments soon, according to sources familiar with the situation. The ownership group has asked for the city and league to keep negotiations private. The new buyer would keep the Coyotes in Glendale and is not a household name. In addition, sources say progress on the purchase is serious and substantial.
If you’ve been keeping up with this agonizing saga all along, you know that Ice Edge Holdings is the current front runner for the team and that they’ve been remarkably quiet all summer long in regard to buying the team. Don’t worry, they know all about this supposed new buyer and Ice Edge CEO Keith McCullough issued this statement:
“We understand another party that we have become acquainted with is in advanced negotiations with Glendale and an announcement could happen soon. If this occurs, we expect to continue to be involved with the Coyotes as an adviser for the foreseeable future.”
As always with news that concerns interested parties in buying the Coyotes stay tuned for further action, or inaction as things go. At least some folks can have some fun with the news, or lack thereof, when it comes to the Coyotes dealings as ESPN’s Scott Burnside had the Tweet of the Day:
No truth to reports out of Gong-dale that ‘mystery’ buyers for Coyotes include Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Dos Equis dude.
Stay thirsty for a new owner, my friends.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8