Aug 30, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Two of the biggest lingering stories from this off-season regard the future of Ilya Kovalchuk (as we discussed earlier) and former Chicago Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi. While there hasn’t been anything close to a confirmation – or concrete information, really – ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers reports that Niemi is on the verge of deciding which team he will play with next season.
I talked to a source today that indicated former Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi is close to making a decision on where he will play this upcoming season. It should happen over the next 48 hours.
According to this source, Niemi has offers from multiple teams. My guess is he’s weighing a short-term deal with a contender — think San Jose — rather than a deal with more security for a team that may not be ready to win.
While Joe discussed the Sharks and seven other teams possibly having an interest in Niemi, the list of teams that actually make sense right now is fairly skinny.
Will it be a contender with an unstable net situation such as San Jose or Philadelphia? Maybe a team with plenty of quantity but limited quality like Edmonton? Perhaps the Florida Panthers will decide that they need some Vokoun insurance by adding Niemi? Would he be comfortable in a 1a-1b situation? Finally, what about a foreign league with deeper pockets and less competition in net?
There are a lot of questions when it comes to Niemi, but very few answers. Yet, if Rogers is correct – and keep in mind it’s far from official – we may finally get some answers. Stay tuned, hockey fans.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 57
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination