Aug 30, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Two of the biggest lingering stories from this off-season regard the future of Ilya Kovalchuk (as we discussed earlier) and former Chicago Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi. While there hasn’t been anything close to a confirmation – or concrete information, really – ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers reports that Niemi is on the verge of deciding which team he will play with next season.
I talked to a source today that indicated former Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi is close to making a decision on where he will play this upcoming season. It should happen over the next 48 hours.
According to this source, Niemi has offers from multiple teams. My guess is he’s weighing a short-term deal with a contender — think San Jose — rather than a deal with more security for a team that may not be ready to win.
While Joe discussed the Sharks and seven other teams possibly having an interest in Niemi, the list of teams that actually make sense right now is fairly skinny.
Will it be a contender with an unstable net situation such as San Jose or Philadelphia? Maybe a team with plenty of quantity but limited quality like Edmonton? Perhaps the Florida Panthers will decide that they need some Vokoun insurance by adding Niemi? Would he be comfortable in a 1a-1b situation? Finally, what about a foreign league with deeper pockets and less competition in net?
There are a lot of questions when it comes to Niemi, but very few answers. Yet, if Rogers is correct – and keep in mind it’s far from official – we may finally get some answers. Stay tuned, hockey fans.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54