Aug 30, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
There was a minor stir regarding what was ultimately deemed a false report regarding the NHL rejecting the second Ilya Kovalchuk-New Jersey Devils contract, so I thought it would be wise to pass along what basically amounts to a non-update (with a few nuggets that you might find semi-interesting).
The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the league is taking advantage of its five-day window to approve or reject the contract, according to Dmitry Chesnokov and Puck Daddy among other sources.
Puck Daddy learned on Monday night that there has not been a decision issued on the contract by the NHL. The League is still reviewing the latest — and what very well may be the last — contract between the New Jersey Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk.
According to a source close to the negotiation, the contract submitted on Friday addressed all of the concerns raised by arbitrator Richard Bloch in his decision and those the NHL presented during informal conversations between all parties in the last few weeks.
It appears that the League will take all five days given to them by the Collective Bargaining Agreement to make a decision on the contract.
One of the biggest sticking points with the previous 17-year, $102 million deal came in the ludicrous minimum wage years that were tacked on to the end of the failed Kovalchuk-Devils contract. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos tracked down the final year details of a reported 15-year, $100 million new contract and as you can see from his Tweet, the final seasons are a lot more feasible than they were in the previous deal.
Last 3 yrs of Luongo’s deal ave is 1.2M per. Hossa’s 833,000. Ilya last 3 yrs will now ave 2.6M including base of 4M in last 24/25 season..
That certainly seems a lot more reasonable, especially with the lower money contracts veteran players signed to this summer. Few anticipated a scenario in which Kovalchuk wouldn’t have a contract until September, but that seems just about certain at this point. As always, we’ll keep you up to date as this long, drawn-out process (hopefully) comes to an end.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)