Aug 30, 2010, 6:35 PM EST
While teams and players aren’t always thrilled with a two-week interruption to their season (not to mention the compressed schedule that comes with it), one of the Olympic Games bummers is missing out on an All-Star Game. To me, it’s not really about the game itself, either. The downers come with missing the ridiculous but sometimes fantastic skills competition and the fruitless yet fun debates about who was snubbed from the teams.
(Not to mention other side debates, such as my notion that there would be far more interest in an All-Star Game if it took place during the preseason, when people are anxious to see the league’s stars again.)
Well, the good news is that there will be a 2011 NHL All-Star Game and the event will take place in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Hurricanes released the first bit of news about tickets to the event, even if their season ticket holders will get first dibs. Here is the news from The News & Observer.
Lower-level and club-level seats are $260 and upper-level seats $200 each for the All-Star Game and All-Star Skills Competition. For the All-Star Game alone, the prices at $180 and $135, respectively.
“The pricing is in line with prior games,” general manager Jim Rutherford said today. “We’re getting the information out to ticket-holders. Once we see how many our season-ticket holders use and the league uses, we will know at that point how many will go on sale to the public.”
If Carolina/hockey fans can stomach the higher prices, I’d go for the combination of the game itself and the skills competition. The latter typically provides the most memorable situations of the weekend, particularly when Alex Ovechkin gets the chance to express himself.
The game takes place on January 30, 2011. It should be a fun time for all … and dare I wonder if there will be some tailgating before the event(s)?
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)