Aug 30, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
After the report earlier today, it appears that it’s true and the Rangers have signed forward Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal. While the financial details of the deal are still a bit unknown, it’s believed he signed for $550,000. After winning a $1 million award in arbitration from the Sabres, settling for a salary just above league minimum has to feel a bit stinging.
That is until you consider that the Sabres are paying him $333,333 after buying out his arbitration-won contract. I don’t suppose that Tim Kennedy will be fired up to play Buffalo this year at all.
As for what this does for the Rangers, Andrew Gross from Rangers Rants spills some of the details for us.
However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so he’ll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangers’ greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.
That’s an awfully crowded house and considering Kennedy played on the wing for Buffalo last year, there’s flexibility all over the place. At the very least, the Rangers are over-prepared for guys to be tossed out of the face-off circle.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 8
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 3
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 84
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (84)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness