Aug 30, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
After the report earlier today, it appears that it’s true and the Rangers have signed forward Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal. While the financial details of the deal are still a bit unknown, it’s believed he signed for $550,000. After winning a $1 million award in arbitration from the Sabres, settling for a salary just above league minimum has to feel a bit stinging.
That is until you consider that the Sabres are paying him $333,333 after buying out his arbitration-won contract. I don’t suppose that Tim Kennedy will be fired up to play Buffalo this year at all.
As for what this does for the Rangers, Andrew Gross from Rangers Rants spills some of the details for us.
However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so he’ll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangers’ greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.
That’s an awfully crowded house and considering Kennedy played on the wing for Buffalo last year, there’s flexibility all over the place. At the very least, the Rangers are over-prepared for guys to be tossed out of the face-off circle.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)