Aug 30, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
After the report earlier today, it appears that it’s true and the Rangers have signed forward Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal. While the financial details of the deal are still a bit unknown, it’s believed he signed for $550,000. After winning a $1 million award in arbitration from the Sabres, settling for a salary just above league minimum has to feel a bit stinging.
That is until you consider that the Sabres are paying him $333,333 after buying out his arbitration-won contract. I don’t suppose that Tim Kennedy will be fired up to play Buffalo this year at all.
As for what this does for the Rangers, Andrew Gross from Rangers Rants spills some of the details for us.
However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so he’ll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangers’ greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.
That’s an awfully crowded house and considering Kennedy played on the wing for Buffalo last year, there’s flexibility all over the place. At the very least, the Rangers are over-prepared for guys to be tossed out of the face-off circle.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)