Aug 30, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
After the report earlier today, it appears that it’s true and the Rangers have signed forward Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal. While the financial details of the deal are still a bit unknown, it’s believed he signed for $550,000. After winning a $1 million award in arbitration from the Sabres, settling for a salary just above league minimum has to feel a bit stinging.
That is until you consider that the Sabres are paying him $333,333 after buying out his arbitration-won contract. I don’t suppose that Tim Kennedy will be fired up to play Buffalo this year at all.
As for what this does for the Rangers, Andrew Gross from Rangers Rants spills some of the details for us.
However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so he’ll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangers’ greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.
That’s an awfully crowded house and considering Kennedy played on the wing for Buffalo last year, there’s flexibility all over the place. At the very least, the Rangers are over-prepared for guys to be tossed out of the face-off circle.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)