Aug 30, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
After the report earlier today, it appears that it’s true and the Rangers have signed forward Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal. While the financial details of the deal are still a bit unknown, it’s believed he signed for $550,000. After winning a $1 million award in arbitration from the Sabres, settling for a salary just above league minimum has to feel a bit stinging.
That is until you consider that the Sabres are paying him $333,333 after buying out his arbitration-won contract. I don’t suppose that Tim Kennedy will be fired up to play Buffalo this year at all.
As for what this does for the Rangers, Andrew Gross from Rangers Rants spills some of the details for us.
However, the Rangers are projecting Kennedy more as a center so he’ll get a chance to earn a roster spot in the middle. As an organization, the Rangers’ greatest depth need is at center. This is sort of like pitching, the Rangers figure they cannot have enough centers. Right now, if Kennedy is included, he joins Erik Christensen, Todd White, Chris Drury (who could be moved to the wing), Brian Boyle (ditto), Artem Anisimov and possibly Prospal as center candidates.
That’s an awfully crowded house and considering Kennedy played on the wing for Buffalo last year, there’s flexibility all over the place. At the very least, the Rangers are over-prepared for guys to be tossed out of the face-off circle.
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 3
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 37
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)