Aug 29, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
When Paul Kariya’s agent announced that the winger will miss the 2010-11 season because of concussion problems, many people speculated that we might not see any more of Teemu Selanne’s former running mate. Being that he’s been bothered by injuries the last couple years and will turn 36 around October, it’s a pretty reasonable question to ask.
Naturally, this speculation made me wonder: if Kariya’s career is over, would he be worthy of a Hall of Fame induction? My instinctive answer is “no” but I thought I’d ask PHT readers for their thoughts. Here are the poll results.
(click to enlarge)
While there are quite a few people (about 42.5 percent) who think Kariya deserves to be in the HHOF, 40 more readers came down on my side of the argument. That’s not to say that Paul Kariya didn’t have a good career, just that he didn’t accomplish enough to be considered one of the greatest players of all-time.
Now, keep in mind that Kariya isn’t officially done just yet. It’s far from impossible that he’ll decide to lace up his skates again if his concussion issues subside. We’ll just need to wait and see when it comes to retirement.
His career might be a few strides short of the Hall of Fame, but that’s not to be ashamed of. Good luck to Kariya as he fights through the side effects of one of sports’ scariest injuries.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)