Aug 29, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
Before the Edmonton Oilers pinned their hopes on the likes of Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, they looked to players such as 2006 first round pick Sam Gagner. The team re-upped with Gagner today, signing him to a two-year, $4.55 million contract with a $2.275 million annual cap hit according to Nick Kypreos.
Gagner, 21, appeared in 68 games last season for the Oilers scoring 15 goals and 26 assists for 41 points.
The 5’11”, 191-pound London, Ontario native has three seasons under his belt after having put up 49 points (13G, 36A) in his rookie year, where he was named to the 2008 NHL YoungStars Game in Atlanta. He scored 41 points (16G, 25A) in his sophomore year.
It seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. Gagner gets a nice amount of cash considering the fact that he peaked at 49 points and the free agent market has been terrible (restricted or unrestricted). The contract might benefit the Oilers too, though, if Gagner breaks through and exceeds the value of his contract.
The Oilers are probably a few pieces away from being a true playoff contender, but aside from a Nikolai Khabibulin/goalie meltdown here or there, things are looking up in Edmonton.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)