Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT
I’ll get down to the greater decisions the Edmonton Oilers will need to make (or could make) later today, but first I wanted to share their official statement on the Nikolai Khabibulin conundrum from yesterday. Here is what Oilers GM Steve Tambellini had to say at the Scottsdale, Arizona court room.
Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini released the following statement regarding today’s decision from the Scottsdale City Court.
“The Edmonton Oilers acknowledge and respect the decision handed down today by the Scottsdale City Court to goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Both Nikolai and the Oilers organization recognize the severity of what has transpired. We plan on meeting with Nikolai, his agent and the National Hockey League in the near future.”
The press release also documents the fact that Khabibulin’s sentence will be announced on Tuesday, August 31.
As we mentioned before, the guilty verdict more or less guarantees that he will face at least 30 days in jail, not to mention the fact that he will probably face fines, community service and be forced to drive with a device that restricts his car privileges. He could face even more time (up to six months) or perhaps spend time in the dreaded “Tent City” if the judge decides to throw the book at him.
Again, we’ll discuss the Oilers side of the situation a little bit later. For more on how this will affect Khabibulin, click here.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10