Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM EST
I’ll get down to the greater decisions the Edmonton Oilers will need to make (or could make) later today, but first I wanted to share their official statement on the Nikolai Khabibulin conundrum from yesterday. Here is what Oilers GM Steve Tambellini had to say at the Scottsdale, Arizona court room.
Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini released the following statement regarding today’s decision from the Scottsdale City Court.
“The Edmonton Oilers acknowledge and respect the decision handed down today by the Scottsdale City Court to goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Both Nikolai and the Oilers organization recognize the severity of what has transpired. We plan on meeting with Nikolai, his agent and the National Hockey League in the near future.”
The press release also documents the fact that Khabibulin’s sentence will be announced on Tuesday, August 31.
As we mentioned before, the guilty verdict more or less guarantees that he will face at least 30 days in jail, not to mention the fact that he will probably face fines, community service and be forced to drive with a device that restricts his car privileges. He could face even more time (up to six months) or perhaps spend time in the dreaded “Tent City” if the judge decides to throw the book at him.
Again, we’ll discuss the Oilers side of the situation a little bit later. For more on how this will affect Khabibulin, click here.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)