Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM EST
I’ll get down to the greater decisions the Edmonton Oilers will need to make (or could make) later today, but first I wanted to share their official statement on the Nikolai Khabibulin conundrum from yesterday. Here is what Oilers GM Steve Tambellini had to say at the Scottsdale, Arizona court room.
Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini released the following statement regarding today’s decision from the Scottsdale City Court.
“The Edmonton Oilers acknowledge and respect the decision handed down today by the Scottsdale City Court to goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Both Nikolai and the Oilers organization recognize the severity of what has transpired. We plan on meeting with Nikolai, his agent and the National Hockey League in the near future.”
The press release also documents the fact that Khabibulin’s sentence will be announced on Tuesday, August 31.
As we mentioned before, the guilty verdict more or less guarantees that he will face at least 30 days in jail, not to mention the fact that he will probably face fines, community service and be forced to drive with a device that restricts his car privileges. He could face even more time (up to six months) or perhaps spend time in the dreaded “Tent City” if the judge decides to throw the book at him.
Again, we’ll discuss the Oilers side of the situation a little bit later. For more on how this will affect Khabibulin, click here.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)