Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT
I’ll get down to the greater decisions the Edmonton Oilers will need to make (or could make) later today, but first I wanted to share their official statement on the Nikolai Khabibulin conundrum from yesterday. Here is what Oilers GM Steve Tambellini had to say at the Scottsdale, Arizona court room.
Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini released the following statement regarding today’s decision from the Scottsdale City Court.
“The Edmonton Oilers acknowledge and respect the decision handed down today by the Scottsdale City Court to goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Both Nikolai and the Oilers organization recognize the severity of what has transpired. We plan on meeting with Nikolai, his agent and the National Hockey League in the near future.”
The press release also documents the fact that Khabibulin’s sentence will be announced on Tuesday, August 31.
As we mentioned before, the guilty verdict more or less guarantees that he will face at least 30 days in jail, not to mention the fact that he will probably face fines, community service and be forced to drive with a device that restricts his car privileges. He could face even more time (up to six months) or perhaps spend time in the dreaded “Tent City” if the judge decides to throw the book at him.
Again, we’ll discuss the Oilers side of the situation a little bit later. For more on how this will affect Khabibulin, click here.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)