Aug 28, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
The celebrity ceremonial first pitch is a lot like those occasional photo op faceoffs in hockey; it’s a chance to honor a local hero or big time big wig. There’s only one big difference: you can really embarrass yourself by wildly falling short of home plate or evading the catcher’s grasp.
(Honestly, I’m the type of person who would make sure I practiced that pitch, possibly to the detriment of whatever would earn me such an achievement in the first place.)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was part of an interesting ceremony for the Chicago White Sox that included a display of championship trophies from a host of Chicago teams (is that a subtle dig on the woebegone Chicago Cubs?) and also threw out the first pitch. Judging from this video, I would say he fell closer to the “George W. Bush first pitch” side of the first pitch scale than the “Barack Obama first pitch” side.
Not bad at all, “Coach Q.” You really have to love how hockey-mad Chicago has been in the last year. Hopefully that spirit will remain high even if the Blackhawks hit a few road bumps (although I’m starting to think they will be very competitive next season).
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)