Aug 28, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
The celebrity ceremonial first pitch is a lot like those occasional photo op faceoffs in hockey; it’s a chance to honor a local hero or big time big wig. There’s only one big difference: you can really embarrass yourself by wildly falling short of home plate or evading the catcher’s grasp.
(Honestly, I’m the type of person who would make sure I practiced that pitch, possibly to the detriment of whatever would earn me such an achievement in the first place.)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was part of an interesting ceremony for the Chicago White Sox that included a display of championship trophies from a host of Chicago teams (is that a subtle dig on the woebegone Chicago Cubs?) and also threw out the first pitch. Judging from this video, I would say he fell closer to the “George W. Bush first pitch” side of the first pitch scale than the “Barack Obama first pitch” side.
Not bad at all, “Coach Q.” You really have to love how hockey-mad Chicago has been in the last year. Hopefully that spirit will remain high even if the Blackhawks hit a few road bumps (although I’m starting to think they will be very competitive next season).
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)