Aug 28, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
The celebrity ceremonial first pitch is a lot like those occasional photo op faceoffs in hockey; it’s a chance to honor a local hero or big time big wig. There’s only one big difference: you can really embarrass yourself by wildly falling short of home plate or evading the catcher’s grasp.
(Honestly, I’m the type of person who would make sure I practiced that pitch, possibly to the detriment of whatever would earn me such an achievement in the first place.)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was part of an interesting ceremony for the Chicago White Sox that included a display of championship trophies from a host of Chicago teams (is that a subtle dig on the woebegone Chicago Cubs?) and also threw out the first pitch. Judging from this video, I would say he fell closer to the “George W. Bush first pitch” side of the first pitch scale than the “Barack Obama first pitch” side.
Not bad at all, “Coach Q.” You really have to love how hockey-mad Chicago has been in the last year. Hopefully that spirit will remain high even if the Blackhawks hit a few road bumps (although I’m starting to think they will be very competitive next season).
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 4
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 4
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 9
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)