Aug 28, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
The celebrity ceremonial first pitch is a lot like those occasional photo op faceoffs in hockey; it’s a chance to honor a local hero or big time big wig. There’s only one big difference: you can really embarrass yourself by wildly falling short of home plate or evading the catcher’s grasp.
(Honestly, I’m the type of person who would make sure I practiced that pitch, possibly to the detriment of whatever would earn me such an achievement in the first place.)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was part of an interesting ceremony for the Chicago White Sox that included a display of championship trophies from a host of Chicago teams (is that a subtle dig on the woebegone Chicago Cubs?) and also threw out the first pitch. Judging from this video, I would say he fell closer to the “George W. Bush first pitch” side of the first pitch scale than the “Barack Obama first pitch” side.
Not bad at all, “Coach Q.” You really have to love how hockey-mad Chicago has been in the last year. Hopefully that spirit will remain high even if the Blackhawks hit a few road bumps (although I’m starting to think they will be very competitive next season).
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)