Aug 28, 2010, 2:25 PM EDT
Though their logic was totally justifiable, it was still kind of stunning when the Atlanta Thrashers walked away from an arbitrator’s decision to award Clarke McArthur $2.4 million. Obviously, that decision was way out of line with his true market value and this summer showed that quite clearly.
On the bright side, at least MacArthur will have an NHL job. Nick Kypreos reports that the Toronto Maple Leafs signed the once-promising prospect to a one-year, $1.1 million deal. For you non-math majors out there, that’s $1.3 million less than the arbitrator’s award.
MacArthur, 25, began last season with the Buffalo Sabres before being traded March 3 to Atlanta in exchange for the Thrashers’ third and fourth round picks in the 2010 Entry Draft. In 81 games between Buffalo and Atlanta, he registered a career-high 35 points with 16 goals and 19 assists. In 2008-09, he scored a career-best 17 goals while playing in 71 games for the Sabres. The 6-0, 191-pound forward has played in 208 career NHL games with Atlanta and Buffalo collecting 44 goals and 44 assists for 88 points along with 129 minutes in penalties.
That just about does it for Toronto’s cap space, as they’ll have a few hundred thousand dollars left over if Cap Geek’s numbers are correct. I can’t say I’m blown away by their collection of forwards, but they have improved their group at least a bit compared to last year.
Is this team a ragtag group of cast-offs or a combination of reclamation projects waiting to happen? We’ll need to wait and see for that answer.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)