Aug 28, 2010, 2:25 PM EDT
Though their logic was totally justifiable, it was still kind of stunning when the Atlanta Thrashers walked away from an arbitrator’s decision to award Clarke McArthur $2.4 million. Obviously, that decision was way out of line with his true market value and this summer showed that quite clearly.
On the bright side, at least MacArthur will have an NHL job. Nick Kypreos reports that the Toronto Maple Leafs signed the once-promising prospect to a one-year, $1.1 million deal. For you non-math majors out there, that’s $1.3 million less than the arbitrator’s award.
MacArthur, 25, began last season with the Buffalo Sabres before being traded March 3 to Atlanta in exchange for the Thrashers’ third and fourth round picks in the 2010 Entry Draft. In 81 games between Buffalo and Atlanta, he registered a career-high 35 points with 16 goals and 19 assists. In 2008-09, he scored a career-best 17 goals while playing in 71 games for the Sabres. The 6-0, 191-pound forward has played in 208 career NHL games with Atlanta and Buffalo collecting 44 goals and 44 assists for 88 points along with 129 minutes in penalties.
That just about does it for Toronto’s cap space, as they’ll have a few hundred thousand dollars left over if Cap Geek’s numbers are correct. I can’t say I’m blown away by their collection of forwards, but they have improved their group at least a bit compared to last year.
Is this team a ragtag group of cast-offs or a combination of reclamation projects waiting to happen? We’ll need to wait and see for that answer.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)