Aug 27, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
Nikolai Khabibulin’s terrible off-season might get a lot better on Friday. Or a lot worse. Khabibulin’s trial for extreme DUI is set to happen then provided it isn’t delayed like it has been the last few times. Jim Matheson of The Edmonton Journal lays the facts on us on what will be in Khabibulin’s future should things not go his way.
If he’s found guilty, Khabibulin could spend a minimum of 30 days in jail for the misdemeanour. The maximum sentence is six months. He could be sent to Tent City, the military camp in the Arizona desert where the convicted wear prison stripes. They have also been known to wear pink underwear under the watchful eye of hard-line sheriff Joe Arpaio, the legendary lawman who has been featured on the CBS News program 60 Minutes.
Khabibulin would miss two weeks of Oilers training camp, which starts with medicals on Sept. 17. It would further complicate a hardscrabble road for the veteran goalie, who only played 18 games last season before his back gave out on him and he required surgery.
Clearly this trial has major implications on what happens with the Oilers this season. Having a player go to jail doesn’t happen very often in the NHL and clearly if Khabibulin goes to jail their decision to retain both Devan Dubnyk and Jeff Deslauriers looks smarter. If Khabibulin is cleared, then the Oilers will have a bit of a crowded crease with three goalies on one-way NHL contracts.
We realize that Nik Khabibulin isn’t really on many fans’ radar, especially playing in Edmonton, but given the charges he’s facing (speeding, extreme DUI), the real threat of jail time and the fact that Khabibulin is a former Stanley Cup-winning goalie it’s a story that’s a bit under the radar and all too serious.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)