Aug 27, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
While their competition’s Nintendo Wii-exclusive (OK, OK, it’s on the iPhone too in some form) title “NHL 2K11″ title already shipped on Tuesday, EA Sports still is in the process of promoting the latest iteration in its flagship hockey franchise, “NHL 11.”
We’ve discussed the game quite a bit already, but let’s take a look at a video that showcases some of the changes in the game’s GM Mode.
Who knows how much of the audience is interested in the Canadian Hockey League’s junior teams, but I think it’s a great way to increase familiarity with prospects and the wide array of hockey teams playing in North America. The biggest bonus might also be that gamers will be able to use Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin and other draft picks right out of the box after years of waiting for roster updates to utilize the league’s best rookies.
Having the ability to trade up to five players on each side of a transaction could be a double-edged sword. On one hand, extra maneuverability is always welcome in concocting wacky trade offers. The flip side of that, though, is judging from that Evgeni Malkin for five mediocre players deal seen in the video … it’s just another way for unscrupulous digi-GMs like myself to exploit the virtual general managers out there.
Regardless of that quibble, the addition of restricted free agency and other simple-but-effective tweaks make me excited for the upcoming game. I’ve spent a bit more time with the demo and actually kind of enjoy the new physics and … dare I say it … even the broken sticks.
Expect some quirky stories and a review or two of NHL ’11 sometime after it comes out on September 7.
(H/T to Operation Sports.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 5
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 45
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 47
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks