Aug 27, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Earlier today we relayed a story claiming that Rangers restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal was hoping to get an offer sheet in order to speed up the process of getting signed whether it be with the Rangers or not. As one might expect, Marc Staal’s agent stepped up to clear the air surrounding his client. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance gets the scoop.
As negotiations between the Rangers and restricted free agent Marc Staal drag on into late August, rumors of pending offer sheets for the talented young defenseman have started to surface.
But offer sheets aren’t the focus right now, said Staal’s agent Paul Krepelka of the Orr Hockey Group.
“The report of an offer sheet is absolutely unfounded and our priority and focus is on finalizing a deal with the Rangers,” Krepelka wrote in an e-mail to Sporting News.
That should take care of worries for now for Rangers fans who want to see the 23 year-old stud defenseman return to Manhattan. While Staal is ideally a prime target to be poached by a team, the Rangers have remained steadfast in saying they’ll match any offer regardless of what their cap situation is. Whether or not a team is willing to challenge them on that remains to be seen.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7