Aug 27, 2010, 5:42 PM EST
Earlier today we relayed a story claiming that Rangers restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal was hoping to get an offer sheet in order to speed up the process of getting signed whether it be with the Rangers or not. As one might expect, Marc Staal’s agent stepped up to clear the air surrounding his client. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance gets the scoop.
As negotiations between the Rangers and restricted free agent Marc Staal drag on into late August, rumors of pending offer sheets for the talented young defenseman have started to surface.
But offer sheets aren’t the focus right now, said Staal’s agent Paul Krepelka of the Orr Hockey Group.
“The report of an offer sheet is absolutely unfounded and our priority and focus is on finalizing a deal with the Rangers,” Krepelka wrote in an e-mail to Sporting News.
That should take care of worries for now for Rangers fans who want to see the 23 year-old stud defenseman return to Manhattan. While Staal is ideally a prime target to be poached by a team, the Rangers have remained steadfast in saying they’ll match any offer regardless of what their cap situation is. Whether or not a team is willing to challenge them on that remains to be seen.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4