Aug 27, 2010, 5:42 PM EST
Earlier today we relayed a story claiming that Rangers restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal was hoping to get an offer sheet in order to speed up the process of getting signed whether it be with the Rangers or not. As one might expect, Marc Staal’s agent stepped up to clear the air surrounding his client. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance gets the scoop.
As negotiations between the Rangers and restricted free agent Marc Staal drag on into late August, rumors of pending offer sheets for the talented young defenseman have started to surface.
But offer sheets aren’t the focus right now, said Staal’s agent Paul Krepelka of the Orr Hockey Group.
“The report of an offer sheet is absolutely unfounded and our priority and focus is on finalizing a deal with the Rangers,” Krepelka wrote in an e-mail to Sporting News.
That should take care of worries for now for Rangers fans who want to see the 23 year-old stud defenseman return to Manhattan. While Staal is ideally a prime target to be poached by a team, the Rangers have remained steadfast in saying they’ll match any offer regardless of what their cap situation is. Whether or not a team is willing to challenge them on that remains to be seen.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 35
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 26
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 25
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 130
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (130)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (109)