Aug 27, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
Earlier today we relayed a story claiming that Rangers restricted free agent defenseman Marc Staal was hoping to get an offer sheet in order to speed up the process of getting signed whether it be with the Rangers or not. As one might expect, Marc Staal’s agent stepped up to clear the air surrounding his client. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance gets the scoop.
As negotiations between the Rangers and restricted free agent Marc Staal drag on into late August, rumors of pending offer sheets for the talented young defenseman have started to surface.
But offer sheets aren’t the focus right now, said Staal’s agent Paul Krepelka of the Orr Hockey Group.
“The report of an offer sheet is absolutely unfounded and our priority and focus is on finalizing a deal with the Rangers,” Krepelka wrote in an e-mail to Sporting News.
That should take care of worries for now for Rangers fans who want to see the 23 year-old stud defenseman return to Manhattan. While Staal is ideally a prime target to be poached by a team, the Rangers have remained steadfast in saying they’ll match any offer regardless of what their cap situation is. Whether or not a team is willing to challenge them on that remains to be seen.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)