Aug 27, 2010, 5:23 PM EDT
In what’s proving to be an active Friday in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning (who else!) decided to get in on the action completing a minor trade. Toronto acquires defenseman Matt Lashoff from the Lightining in exchange for forwards Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati.
Lashoff was a first round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2005, taken 22nd overall. Lashoff has had a tough time cracking through NHL rosters to get a chance to play in the NHL both in Boston and Tampa Bay. That mission won’t get any easier heading to Toronto who is more than loaded along the blue line. Lashoff’s immediate future appears headed to the AHL with the Toronto Marlies.
Alex Berry is a deep prospect forward who played college hockey at UMass. He played most of last season with the Marlies but also spent some time in the ECHL with Reading. Giliati has spent the last three years with the Toronto Marlies and Reading Royals. Both players are destined to play for Norfolk in the AHL.
The key component for this deal from the Leafs perspective is that it gives them some roster freedom as they were at, or close to, the maximum limit for signed players (50). Now they’ve got a little bit more freedom either for another signing or to make room for another trade.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)