Aug 27, 2010, 5:23 PM EDT
In what’s proving to be an active Friday in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning (who else!) decided to get in on the action completing a minor trade. Toronto acquires defenseman Matt Lashoff from the Lightining in exchange for forwards Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati.
Lashoff was a first round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2005, taken 22nd overall. Lashoff has had a tough time cracking through NHL rosters to get a chance to play in the NHL both in Boston and Tampa Bay. That mission won’t get any easier heading to Toronto who is more than loaded along the blue line. Lashoff’s immediate future appears headed to the AHL with the Toronto Marlies.
Alex Berry is a deep prospect forward who played college hockey at UMass. He played most of last season with the Marlies but also spent some time in the ECHL with Reading. Giliati has spent the last three years with the Toronto Marlies and Reading Royals. Both players are destined to play for Norfolk in the AHL.
The key component for this deal from the Leafs perspective is that it gives them some roster freedom as they were at, or close to, the maximum limit for signed players (50). Now they’ve got a little bit more freedom either for another signing or to make room for another trade.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 0
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 9
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 42
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination