Aug 27, 2010, 5:23 PM EDT
In what’s proving to be an active Friday in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning (who else!) decided to get in on the action completing a minor trade. Toronto acquires defenseman Matt Lashoff from the Lightining in exchange for forwards Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati.
Lashoff was a first round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2005, taken 22nd overall. Lashoff has had a tough time cracking through NHL rosters to get a chance to play in the NHL both in Boston and Tampa Bay. That mission won’t get any easier heading to Toronto who is more than loaded along the blue line. Lashoff’s immediate future appears headed to the AHL with the Toronto Marlies.
Alex Berry is a deep prospect forward who played college hockey at UMass. He played most of last season with the Marlies but also spent some time in the ECHL with Reading. Giliati has spent the last three years with the Toronto Marlies and Reading Royals. Both players are destined to play for Norfolk in the AHL.
The key component for this deal from the Leafs perspective is that it gives them some roster freedom as they were at, or close to, the maximum limit for signed players (50). Now they’ve got a little bit more freedom either for another signing or to make room for another trade.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)