Aug 27, 2010, 5:23 PM EST
In what’s proving to be an active Friday in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning (who else!) decided to get in on the action completing a minor trade. Toronto acquires defenseman Matt Lashoff from the Lightining in exchange for forwards Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati.
Lashoff was a first round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2005, taken 22nd overall. Lashoff has had a tough time cracking through NHL rosters to get a chance to play in the NHL both in Boston and Tampa Bay. That mission won’t get any easier heading to Toronto who is more than loaded along the blue line. Lashoff’s immediate future appears headed to the AHL with the Toronto Marlies.
Alex Berry is a deep prospect forward who played college hockey at UMass. He played most of last season with the Marlies but also spent some time in the ECHL with Reading. Giliati has spent the last three years with the Toronto Marlies and Reading Royals. Both players are destined to play for Norfolk in the AHL.
The key component for this deal from the Leafs perspective is that it gives them some roster freedom as they were at, or close to, the maximum limit for signed players (50). Now they’ve got a little bit more freedom either for another signing or to make room for another trade.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 40
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)