Aug 27, 2010, 5:23 PM EDT
In what’s proving to be an active Friday in the NHL, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning (who else!) decided to get in on the action completing a minor trade. Toronto acquires defenseman Matt Lashoff from the Lightining in exchange for forwards Alex Berry and Stefano Giliati.
Lashoff was a first round pick of the Boston Bruins in 2005, taken 22nd overall. Lashoff has had a tough time cracking through NHL rosters to get a chance to play in the NHL both in Boston and Tampa Bay. That mission won’t get any easier heading to Toronto who is more than loaded along the blue line. Lashoff’s immediate future appears headed to the AHL with the Toronto Marlies.
Alex Berry is a deep prospect forward who played college hockey at UMass. He played most of last season with the Marlies but also spent some time in the ECHL with Reading. Giliati has spent the last three years with the Toronto Marlies and Reading Royals. Both players are destined to play for Norfolk in the AHL.
The key component for this deal from the Leafs perspective is that it gives them some roster freedom as they were at, or close to, the maximum limit for signed players (50). Now they’ve got a little bit more freedom either for another signing or to make room for another trade.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games