Aug 27, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Not to be too negative, but it’s almost surprising that scary slap shot-related injuries like the one that happened to Daymond Langkow are so rare.
The tough, productive center is struggling to bounce back from a scary injury that occurred during the 2009-10 season, but the good news is that he’s been cleared for “light skating” recently, according to the Calgary Sun.
It’s been five months since a puck hit Langkow and fractured a vertebrae at the base of his neck, and symptoms related to the injury are lingering.
“It’s hard to say exactly a timeline on it, but I think we’re hoping that it’s ready for camp,” said Nathan Zaseybida, Langkow’s agent. “Over the last couple of weeks, he’s had big improvements, and that’s pretty typical with the injury.
“It’s just a sensation that he’s having that needs to pass.”
Flames assistant GM Jay Feaster says a visit with the doctor last week got the gritty centre cleared for “light” skating, but Langkow is still unable to take contact or even lift weights with just a few weeks remaining before training camp opens at the Saddledome.
“We remain optimistic as progress continues to be made,” Feaster said via e-mail this week.
I don’t know, that sounds like the type of injury that could keep him out well past training camp.
Most would say that things haven’t been very good for the Calgary Flames lately. Dion Phaneuf certainly declined over the last couple years, but they didn’t get much for him in what was (in my opinion) a bad-for-both-sides trade. Jarome Iginla seems like he’s starting to wear down a bit. The big Jay Bouwmeester signing hasn’t worked out especially well so far. Let’s not even get into that strange signing of Olli Jokinen.
The Sutter brothers’ days might be numbered and they can use all the luck they can get. If Langkow can be the useful player he was before, that would greatly improve their chances of making the playoffs (and ultimately keeping their jobs).
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)