Aug 27, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Not to be too negative, but it’s almost surprising that scary slap shot-related injuries like the one that happened to Daymond Langkow are so rare.
The tough, productive center is struggling to bounce back from a scary injury that occurred during the 2009-10 season, but the good news is that he’s been cleared for “light skating” recently, according to the Calgary Sun.
It’s been five months since a puck hit Langkow and fractured a vertebrae at the base of his neck, and symptoms related to the injury are lingering.
“It’s hard to say exactly a timeline on it, but I think we’re hoping that it’s ready for camp,” said Nathan Zaseybida, Langkow’s agent. “Over the last couple of weeks, he’s had big improvements, and that’s pretty typical with the injury.
“It’s just a sensation that he’s having that needs to pass.”
Flames assistant GM Jay Feaster says a visit with the doctor last week got the gritty centre cleared for “light” skating, but Langkow is still unable to take contact or even lift weights with just a few weeks remaining before training camp opens at the Saddledome.
“We remain optimistic as progress continues to be made,” Feaster said via e-mail this week.
I don’t know, that sounds like the type of injury that could keep him out well past training camp.
Most would say that things haven’t been very good for the Calgary Flames lately. Dion Phaneuf certainly declined over the last couple years, but they didn’t get much for him in what was (in my opinion) a bad-for-both-sides trade. Jarome Iginla seems like he’s starting to wear down a bit. The big Jay Bouwmeester signing hasn’t worked out especially well so far. Let’s not even get into that strange signing of Olli Jokinen.
The Sutter brothers’ days might be numbered and they can use all the luck they can get. If Langkow can be the useful player he was before, that would greatly improve their chances of making the playoffs (and ultimately keeping their jobs).
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)