Aug 26, 2010, 1:50 AM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Canucks sign Raffi Torres to one-year deal – As if Vancouver didn’t have enough grit to begin with …
Lack of Sheldon Souray trade is holding up other Oilers moves – Yep, getting rid of the $5 million-plus defenseman might be a good way to clear up space for other players.
NHL reportedly shoots down another Kovalchuk contract – Although Bettman & Co. deny the rejection. OK, then.
Jere Lehtinen still unsure about his playing future – Maybe it’s time for the great two-way Finnish forward to call it quits, then?
Lightning re-sign Steve Downie – I’m not a fan of his dirty hits and tomfoolery, but he does bring an awful lot more to the table than you’d expect on offense.
Will Roberto Luongo still be the Canucks captain? – Vancouver might be better off going in a different direction.
Kings hand Willie Mitchell to a two-year deal – His concussion issues make this a risky move, but it could pay out big dividends for LA.
AHL releases its 2010-11 schedule – 30 teams worth of minor league fun.
Lightning re-sign Randy Jones – Another busy day in a busy summer for new GM Steve Yzerman.
Kovalchuk update – Bettman denies … the denial. The KHL is still knocking on the door.
Donald Fehr reportedly accepts NHLPA head position – Cue Scooby Doo’s “ruh roh.”
Brian Burke explains the NHL’s Olympic doubts – When Burke speaks, something interesting usually happens.
KHL president is optimistic about improving their relationship with the NHL – Yet, no flowers or chocolates?
Sharks GM shoots down Owen Nolan, Antti Niemi rumors – Sorry, San Jose fans.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)