Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins traded peanuts for Bill Guerin during the ’09 trade deadline, I must admit that I barely batted an eye. After all, if Guerin couldn’t get it done with Joe Thornton passing to him in a previous trade deadline, why would he be productive with an even grayer beard?
Instead, Guerin was a great fit in Pittsburgh. While I occasionally remember grumbling as he fumbled the odd powerplay scoring chance, he scored a career-high 15 points in one playoff run during their 08-09 Cup year riding shotgun with Sidney Crosby. He also managed to score 21 goals and 45 points in 09-10.
Well, despite bringing grit, veteran leadership and a rare right handed shot, Darren Dreger reports that the Penguins won’t employ Guerin in 10-11.
The Penguins have informed Bill Guerin he won’t be brought back. Someone else will benefit from his experience.
One team that could make a bit of sense for Guerin could be the St. Louis Blues. The team has plenty of cap space (more than $14 million with 22 roster spots covered) and wouldn’t need to spend much to bring in the steady goal scorer. Guerin could slide in nicely to retired American forward Keith Tkachuk’s place as the “old man who scores on the powerplay.”
Blues or not, Bill Guerin will not be a Penguin next season. With Guerin and Sergei Gonchar gone this summer, the Penguins probably won’t need to invest in much Just for Men in 10-11.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 8
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 71
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)