Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins traded peanuts for Bill Guerin during the ’09 trade deadline, I must admit that I barely batted an eye. After all, if Guerin couldn’t get it done with Joe Thornton passing to him in a previous trade deadline, why would he be productive with an even grayer beard?
Instead, Guerin was a great fit in Pittsburgh. While I occasionally remember grumbling as he fumbled the odd powerplay scoring chance, he scored a career-high 15 points in one playoff run during their 08-09 Cup year riding shotgun with Sidney Crosby. He also managed to score 21 goals and 45 points in 09-10.
Well, despite bringing grit, veteran leadership and a rare right handed shot, Darren Dreger reports that the Penguins won’t employ Guerin in 10-11.
The Penguins have informed Bill Guerin he won’t be brought back. Someone else will benefit from his experience.
One team that could make a bit of sense for Guerin could be the St. Louis Blues. The team has plenty of cap space (more than $14 million with 22 roster spots covered) and wouldn’t need to spend much to bring in the steady goal scorer. Guerin could slide in nicely to retired American forward Keith Tkachuk’s place as the “old man who scores on the powerplay.”
Blues or not, Bill Guerin will not be a Penguin next season. With Guerin and Sergei Gonchar gone this summer, the Penguins probably won’t need to invest in much Just for Men in 10-11.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)