Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins traded peanuts for Bill Guerin during the ’09 trade deadline, I must admit that I barely batted an eye. After all, if Guerin couldn’t get it done with Joe Thornton passing to him in a previous trade deadline, why would he be productive with an even grayer beard?
Instead, Guerin was a great fit in Pittsburgh. While I occasionally remember grumbling as he fumbled the odd powerplay scoring chance, he scored a career-high 15 points in one playoff run during their 08-09 Cup year riding shotgun with Sidney Crosby. He also managed to score 21 goals and 45 points in 09-10.
Well, despite bringing grit, veteran leadership and a rare right handed shot, Darren Dreger reports that the Penguins won’t employ Guerin in 10-11.
The Penguins have informed Bill Guerin he won’t be brought back. Someone else will benefit from his experience.
One team that could make a bit of sense for Guerin could be the St. Louis Blues. The team has plenty of cap space (more than $14 million with 22 roster spots covered) and wouldn’t need to spend much to bring in the steady goal scorer. Guerin could slide in nicely to retired American forward Keith Tkachuk’s place as the “old man who scores on the powerplay.”
Blues or not, Bill Guerin will not be a Penguin next season. With Guerin and Sergei Gonchar gone this summer, the Penguins probably won’t need to invest in much Just for Men in 10-11.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)