Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
When the Pittsburgh Penguins traded peanuts for Bill Guerin during the ’09 trade deadline, I must admit that I barely batted an eye. After all, if Guerin couldn’t get it done with Joe Thornton passing to him in a previous trade deadline, why would he be productive with an even grayer beard?
Instead, Guerin was a great fit in Pittsburgh. While I occasionally remember grumbling as he fumbled the odd powerplay scoring chance, he scored a career-high 15 points in one playoff run during their 08-09 Cup year riding shotgun with Sidney Crosby. He also managed to score 21 goals and 45 points in 09-10.
Well, despite bringing grit, veteran leadership and a rare right handed shot, Darren Dreger reports that the Penguins won’t employ Guerin in 10-11.
The Penguins have informed Bill Guerin he won’t be brought back. Someone else will benefit from his experience.
One team that could make a bit of sense for Guerin could be the St. Louis Blues. The team has plenty of cap space (more than $14 million with 22 roster spots covered) and wouldn’t need to spend much to bring in the steady goal scorer. Guerin could slide in nicely to retired American forward Keith Tkachuk’s place as the “old man who scores on the powerplay.”
Blues or not, Bill Guerin will not be a Penguin next season. With Guerin and Sergei Gonchar gone this summer, the Penguins probably won’t need to invest in much Just for Men in 10-11.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46